COPD Trends Brief: MortalityView trends and disparities in COPD mortality (deaths) rates and counts, including by age, gender, and race/ethnicity.
- More women than men die from COPD (77,252 versus 77,302), but men are more likely than women to die from the disease (39.2 versus 32.3 per 100,000).
Count in thousands and age adjusted rate per 100,000.
- The COPD death rate among men decreased 32% from 57.4 per 100,000 population in 1999 to 39.2 in 2020.
- The COPD death rate among women was relatively flat from 1999 to 2020.
- COPD death rates are highest among whites, lowest among Asian/Pacific Islanders, and higher among men than women for every race/ethnicity.
- Among those age 55 and older, death rates are decreasing for every ten-year age group, except for those age 85 and older, for whom the rate increased from 1999 to 2017 before decreasing the next three years.