Making notes before your visit, as well as taking along a trusted family member or friend, can help you communicate effectively with your doctor.
- What is the cause of my PAH?
- Are there other possibilities for my symptoms besides PAH?
- What kind of tests will I need?
- How advanced is my disease?
- How often do you treat this problem?
- Do I need to be referred to a specialist in PAH?
- What is the most appropriate treatment?
Once treatment has been suggested:
- Why did we choose this particular medication and what are the side effects?
- Is there a generic alternative to the medicine you're prescribing?
- Does this medication have any interactions with other medications that I currently take?
- Are there any types of medications that I should avoid?
- Would I benefit from pulmonary rehabilitation?
- Are there any new developments in approved treatments?
- How often should I be screened for changes in my condition?
- What is the appropriate level of exercise for me?
- Is it safe for me to travel?
- Are there any other life restrictions that I need to follow?
- What are my options for avoiding pregnancy?
- Will I be able to go back to work?
- Can you refer me to a patient support group in this area?
Reviewed and approved by the American Lung Association Scientific and Medical Editorial Review Panel.
Page last updated: October 23, 2020