Affordable Care Act Timeline
- October 2, 2018: New regulations take effect to expand plans that are not required to cover preventive services or smoking cessation interventions.
- May 2, 2014: The Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services and Treasury issue FAQ guidance about what constitutes preventive coverage for tobacco cessation interventions
- January 1, 2014: Tobacco cessation medications can no longer be excluded from state Medicaid coverage
- January 1, 2014: Coverage for millions of Americans began through state health insurance marketplaces. These plans are required to cover preventive services, including tobacco cessation.
- January 1, 2014: Medicaid eligibility expands to 138 percent of the federal poverty level in states that chose to implement Medicaid expansion. New Medicaid enrollees must have access to tobacco cessation treatments.
- January 1, 2013: Medicaid programs that cover preventive services, including tobacco cessation, receive an increase in Medicaid federal matching funds
- March 15, 2012: CDC launches the Tips from Former Smokers campaign, funded by the Prevention and Public Health Fund
- February 2, 2012: Prevention and Public Health Fund raided. Cut by $6.25 billion in the Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act
- January 1, 2011: Grant program implemented to explore ways to encourage Medicaid enrollees to participate in programs that prevent chronic disease, including smoking cessation interventions
- January 1, 2011: Medicare prescription drug "donut hole" begins to close, making tobacco cessation medications more affordable for seniors who want to quit
- January 1, 2011: Medicare enrollees eligible for a new prevention and wellness visit, which can include tobacco cessation treatment
- October 1, 2010: All Medicaid programs required to cover tobacco cessation for pregnant women
- September 23, 2010: New private plans required to cover preventive services, including tobacco cessationSeptember 23, 2010: New private plans required to cover preventive services, including tobacco cessation
- March 23, 2010: President Obama signs the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act into law
Last updated July 25, 2017.
Sign up for the latest lung health news delivered right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.