Priority Messages to Share with Patients:
Remember. You can be active and healthy with asthma and do all the things that you want to do. Don't let asthma hold you back. Talk to your doctor about taking control of your asthma today.
Below are six steps along with tips and resources to improve your asthma control:
Most people with asthma need one or more medicines to help control their disease. Work with your doctor, pharmacist, or asthma educator to make sure you are using the medication the right way.
Know your asthma triggers and learn how to manage them.
- Identify your asthma triggers and take steps to reduce or avoid them.
Know your early warning signs of an asthma episode.
- Watch the What Is Asthma? animation to learn about the changes in your airways during an asthma episode.
- Learn how to monitor your symptoms and keep an asthma diary.
- Use a peak flow meter and record readings to monitor control.
- Watch the How to Use a Peak Flow Meter video and download the instructions for future reference.
Reviewed and approved by the American Lung Association Scientific and Medical Editorial Review Panel.
Page last updated: November 17, 2022