High taxes on tobacco products are a proven way to reduce tobacco use especially among youth. The current federal cigarette tax is $1.01 per pack, and the current average state cigarette tax is $1.91 per pack. New York has increased its cigarette tax in 2023. No state increased their cigarette taxes in 2022.
- Information on State Taxes
- Map of State Cigarette Tax Rates (PDF)
- State Cigarette Taxes by Amount and State
- See your State’s Tobacco Taxes
- See how your state measures up
Looking for more information on state tobacco taxes? Check out this information from the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.
Looking for more information on federal tobacco taxes? Check out this information from the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids.
Questions? Please contact us.
Page last updated: July 26, 2023