DETROIT, MI | June 11, 2020
The American Lung Association in Michigan is turning Detroit turquoise during the LUNG FORCE Turquoise Takeover (June 14-20) to raise awareness of lung cancer as well as other lung diseases, including COVID-19.
As a sign of hope, the Lung Association is encouraging residents and media to wear turquoise, the signature color of LUNG FORCE. During this challenging time, it’s important for all those living with lung disease, including COVID-19 and lung cancer to feel hope, optimism, and support amidst the pandemic.
“This week we are turning Detroit turquoise to raise awareness of the fact that anyone can get lung cancer, and no one deserves it,” said Maureen Rovas, executive director for the Lung Association. “We’re proud to stand with those facing the disease, particularly during these difficult times and raise funds to support new treatments and better methods of early detection so that we can save more lives.”
During Turquoise Takeover, the Lung Association is raising funds and awareness to end lung disease through multiple events and promotions:
- LUNG FORCE Virtual Walk: The American Lung Association encourages you to register for the LUNG FORCE Walk, set for September 25 through October 4. This year, the event is going virtual, so participants can run or walk a 5K anytime over the 10 days. Registration for the virtual event is free, but participants are encouraged to fundraise. More information can be found at LUNGFORCE.org/Detroit.
- Party with Plants: The American Lung Association in Michigan and Party’n With Plants are teaming up to support lung health and COVID-19 relief efforts through a fun online fundraiser. For the event, participants will purchase a specialty kit and plant their own customizable terrarium tanks during a live online Facebook event on Wednesday, June 17 at 4 p.m. Twenty percent of all terrarium and fairy garden kit purchases will support the Lung Association. More information is available here.
- Anne Koplik Jewelry: During Turquoise Takeover, Anne Koplik Jewelry is donating 20% of all purchases to the Lung Association. Visit www.annekoplik.com and select LUNG FORCE Detroit at checkout.
- CVS Pharmacy: From June 21 – July 18, you can donate a dollar or more when you checkout at your local CVS Pharmacy® or online to help raise funds for COVID-19 awareness, education and research.
- Kendra Scott Jewelry: On June 14-15, visit Kendra Scott Jewelry (www.kendrascott.com to give back to LUNG FORCE. 20% of all purchases made during this time goes toward LUNG FORCE. Use code:GIVEBACK7939 at checkout.
- Paint-By-Numbers: Create your own LUNG FORCE masterpiece with this fun paint-by-numbers promotion. Find two LUNG FORCE Paintings at the Etsy shop @StephanieHenryArt. 20% of these pieces purchased will go benefit the Lung Association in Michigan.
Money raised during Turquoise Takeover will fund the Lung Association’s efforts to end lung cancer and lung disease. It will also support the Lung Association’s COVID-19 Action Initiative, a $25 million investment to address COVID-19 and protect against future respiratory virus pandemics. The initiative works with public and private entities to increase research collaboration and develop new vaccines, detection tests and treatment therapies.
During Turquoise Takeover, the American Lung Association encourages everyone to get involved by wearing turquoise, decorating their hours or business turquoise, turning their social media profiles turquoise and donating to support lifesaving research at LUNGFORCE.org.
As LUNG FORCE’s national presenting sponsor, CVS Health is committed to raising funds and support for lung cancer education, awareness and research. LUNG FORCE is grateful to CVS Health for more than five years in support of our efforts to defeat lung cancer.
The American Lung Association is the leading organization working to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through education, advocacy and research. The work of the American Lung Association is focused on four strategic imperatives: to defeat lung cancer; to champion clean air for all; to improve the quality of life for those with lung disease and their families; and to create a tobacco-free future. For more information about the American Lung Association, a holder of the coveted 4-star rating from Charity Navigator and a Gold-Level GuideStar Member, or to support the work it does, call 1-800-LUNGUSA (1-800-586-4872) or visit: Lung.org.
A Breath of Fresh Air in Your Inbox
Want updates on the latest lung health news, including COVID-19 updates, research, inspiring stories and health information?
Join the 500,000+ people getting our newsletter!
Thank you! You've been successfully subscribed to our newsletter!