CHICAGO, IL | December 15, 2022
“During this time of year, many people give to nonprofit organizations to support the important work they do and to take advantage of charitable tax benefits before the end of the year. GuideStar is an important organization that finds out where nonprofits’ money comes from, where it goes and why it matters,” said Harold Wimmer, National President and CEO of the American Lung Association. “We thank GuideStar for recognizing our tireless work to prevent lung disease and help people who are living with lung disease.”
To achieve a Platinum-Level GuideStar designation, an organization must provide evidence of organizational financial efficiency, impact of their mission and a clear goal and objectives. Looking at the operating efficiency of an organization shows the percentage of funds that go to programs and services, versus management and administration. The Lung Association ranks well in this area, with 90 cents out of every dollar going to program services nationwide.
This year, the American Lung Association has made important strides on their mission, including:
- Improved the lung cancer 5-year survival rate to 25%. While there is a long way to go, this is promising and shows a 21% increase in recent years.
- Increased research funding to $13.2 million this year alone, funding over 110 grants. In May, it began accepting study participants in the first-ever Lung Health Cohort study.
- Helping all Americans to better understand COVID-19 and protect themselves from it. People came to the Lung Association looking for accurate information.
- The Lung Association also has a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator and is a Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance Accredited Charity.
- Donate Your Car: Donate your old car to the Lung Association to create new hope for those living with lung cancer and lung disease. Visit LungCars.org or call 1-888-300-LUNG (1-888-300-5864), fill out a quick form, and a tow truck will pick up your car within 48 hours. Your car donation will help fund research and programs to help people who are living with lung disease. Your donation will also count as a deduction on your 2022 taxes.
- Skip the Coffee Once a Month and Support Lung Health: Skip purchasing your coffee just one day a month and make a lifesaving donation! When you sign up to give monthly, your tax-deductible donation will fund lung disease and lung cancer medical research, new treatments, screenings, lung health education and more. Sign up to make a monthly donation here.
- Shop for A Cause: The Lung Association online store offers a variety of gift ideas, including clothing, hats, masks, travel mugs and more. A portion of every sale funds the work of the Lung Association. Visit the Lung Association store here. You can also select the American Lung Association as your charity of choice when shopping on Amazon Smile, Ebay and other retailers. Learn more here.
The American Lung Association is the leading organization working to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through education, advocacy and research. The work of the American Lung Association is focused on four strategic imperatives: to defeat lung cancer; to champion clean air for all; to improve the quality of life for those with lung disease and their families; and to create a tobacco-free future. For more information about the American Lung Association, which has a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator and is a Platinum-Level GuideStar Member, call 1-800-LUNGUSA (1-800-586-4872) or visit: Lung.org. To support the work of the American Lung Association, find a local event at Lung.org/events.
A Breath of Fresh Air in Your Inbox
Join over 700,000 people who receive the latest news about lung health, including research, lung disease, air quality, quitting tobacco, inspiring stories and more!
You will now receive email updates from the American Lung Association.