Making notes before your visit, as well as taking along a trusted family member or friend, can help you through an appointment with your doctor. Questions you may want to ask your doctor:
- Could my child's cough be pertussis, or “whooping cough”?
- If pertussis/whooping cough, is suspected, how much longer will the cough last?
- What treatments are recommended?
- Can I do anything for the cough? What are the symptoms or changes in symptoms I should notify the doctor of?
- When should I take my child to the emergency room?
- Am I/Is my child still contagious? If so, when will I/my child no longer be contagious?
- What precautions should household members or other contacts take?
Reviewed and approved by the American Lung Association Scientific and Medical Editorial Review Panel.
Page last updated: October 23, 2020