Since 2014, The American Lung Association’s LUNG FORCE initiative has been uniting the nation to stand together against lung cancer. More Americans than ever are surviving lung cancer, yet it remains the nation’s #1 cause of cancer deaths.
In March of 2020, the American Lung Association celebrated the 5th anniversary of LUNG FORCE Advocacy Day and the 10th anniversary of the Affordable Care Act. To build support for patients who are facing lung cancer, on Wednesday, March 25, LUNG FORCE Heroes - those personally affected by lung cancer- from across the country spoke to members of Congress about the urgency of funding biomedical research and ensuring everyone has healthcare protections.
As the result of the COVID-19 outbreak, the 2020 LUNG FORCE Advocacy Day was a remote event, allowing LUNG FORCE Heroes to still meet with members of Congress and share their stories and:
- Ask members of Congress to support $44.7 billion for the National Institutes of Health in Fiscal Year 2021 so there can be better early detection, treatments and cures for lung cancer.
- Ask members of Congress to ensure that current healthcare protections, including those for patients with pre-existing conditions, will continue.
Through the efforts of our LUNG FORCE Heroes, we made 172 calls, speaking with 98 Senate offices and 84 house offices on March 25.
You can continue to support the efforts of our LUNG FORCE Heroes by following four simple steps:
#1 Call Your Senators and Representative
- Call your three members of Congress and reiterate the asks made by our LUNG FORCE Heroes. We will have a simple script available at LungForce.org/AdvocacyDay that you can use to guide your conversation and make an impact!
#2 Send an Email to Congress
- Tell your senators and representative in Washington, D.C., that we need robust, sustainable and predictable federal funding increases for the National Institutes of Health and why we must protect patients with pre-existing conditions, including lung cancer. We've drafted an email to Congress, all you need to do is fill out your info and send!
#3 Tweet about It
- Connect with your senators or representative using suggested tweets below. Please personalize with their Twitter handle Use our Find Your Legislator tool to find their contact information.
- [email protected][INSERT MEMBER HANDLE] I’m joining @LungAssociation and @LUNGFORCE to ask for $44.7B for @NIH #research funding and to protect patients with pre-existing conditions will continue[LINK TO LANDING PAGE]
- [email protected] is relying on your help @[INSERT MEMBER HANDLE] to increase research funding @NIH so there can be better early detection, treatments and cures for #lungcancer patients [LINK TO LANDING PAGE]
- [email protected][INSERT MEMBER HANDLE] please act today to ensure everyone has healthcare protections including people with pre-existing conditions like #lungcancer [LINK TO LANDING PAGE]
#4 Use the LUNG FORCE Facebook Frame
- Support our advocacy efforts by using our Advocacy Day Facebook Frame. Use this link to add the frame to your profile!
Page last updated: March 27, 2020