The lung cancer survival rate has increased by nearly 40% over the past ten years thanks in part to treatment advances and increased access to care. The American Lung Association is committed to doing even more to reduce the number of people who get lung cancer as well as increase survival rates and save lives.
During the 2023 LUNG FORCE Advocacy Day (March 29, 2023), our Heroes will come together in Washington D.C. for the first time since 2019 to ask members of Congress to:
- Support $51 billion in funding for the National Institutes of Health so there can be better early detection, treatments and cures for lung cancer.
- Support $11.6 billion in funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to rebuild healthier communities and protect our nation’s health from disease, including lung cancer.
- Support and protect Medicaid.
You can support the efforts of our LUNG FORCE Heroes by following three steps:
#1 Call Your Senators and Representative
- Call your three members of Congress and reiterate the asks made by our LUNG FORCE Heroes. We will have a simple script available that you can use to guide your conversation and make an impact!
#2 Send an Email to Congress
- Tell your Senators and Representative in Washington, D.C., that we need $51 billion in funding for NIH, $11.6 billion in funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and ask them to support and protect Medicaid. We’ve drafted an email to Congress, all you need to do is fill out your info and send!
#3 Tweet about It
- Connect with your Senators or Representative using suggested tweets below. Please personalize with their Twitter handle. You can find your members of Congress using this tool:
- [email protected][INSERT MEMBER HANDLE] I’m joining @LungAssociation and @LUNGFORCE to ask for @NIH and @CDCgov funding and request that you support and protect Medicaid LUNGFORCE.org/AdvocacyDay
- [email protected] is relying on your help @[INSERT MEMBER HANDLE] to increase funding @NIH so there can be better early detection, treatments and cures for #lungcancer LUNGFORCE.org/AdvocacyDay
- @LungAssociation is relying on your help @[INSERT MEMBER HANDLE] to increase @CDCgov funding to protect our nation’s health from disease, including lung cancer LUNGFORCE.org/AdvocacyDay
- [email protected][INSERT MEMBER HANDLE] @LungAssociation is counting on you to support and protect #Medicaid for people with and at risk of #lungcancer LUNGFORCE.org/AdvocacyDay
Page last updated: March 13, 2023