Across the United States, more than 34 million people are living with lung disease including 12.5 million Americans with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), almost 220,000 Americans with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) and 25.3 million Americans (including 4.2 million children) with asthma.
Recent events have highlighted the critical needs of people living with a chronic lung disease. These needs include:
- Access to the appropriate type and modality of supplemental oxygen (as needed).
- Investment in robust nationwide public health programs, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)’s National Asthma Control Program and the Chronic Disease Education and Awareness Program.
During the 2023 Respiratory Advocacy Day (September 21), our Lung Champions will come together in Washington D.C. to ask members of Congress to:
- Support legislation to reform supplemental oxygen in Medicare
- Co-sponsor the Family Asthma Act
- Support robust, predictable and sustained investments at CDC and NIH to improve our nation's lung health
You can support the efforts of our Lung Champions by:
Telling your Senators and Representatives in Washington, D.C., to pass legislation to ensure people enrolled in Medicare and require supplemental oxygen can access the most appropriate type of oxygen for their needs.
Telling your Senators and Representative in Washington, D.C. that we need their support for the Family Asthma Act to ensure all 50 states can implement evidence-based programs and conduct surveillance to help children and adults with asthma lead full and healthy lives.
Tweeting About It
- .@[INSERT MEMBER HANDLE] I’m joining @LungAssociation to urge Congress to make critical changes in Medicare oxygen, support the Family Asthma Act, and boost @CDCgov & @NIH funding. Visit Lung.org/RAD
- .@LungAssociation is relying on your help @[INSERT MEMBER HANDLE] to increase funding for @CDCgov @NIH, to reform oxygen in Medicare, support the Family Asthma Act. Visit Lung.org/RAD
- @LungAssociation is relying on your help @[INSERT MEMBER HANDLE] to increase @NIH & @CDCgov funding to protect our nation’s health from disease. Visit Lung.org/RAD
Page last updated: September 18, 2023