In this section, you will find resources from the American Lung Association and our partners to further your educational opportunities and support your patients living with COPD.
COPD Guidelines and Treatment
COPD guidelines provide evidence-based recommendations to ensure the highest-quality COPD care. There are several approved treatments for COPD. Here you will find guidelines and resources to provide best practice care.
- Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (guidelines)
- American Thoracic Society (guidelines)
- COPD Action Plan (worksheet)
- COPD Action Plan (Spanish, worksheet)
- Oxygen Therapy (videos and handouts resource hub)
- NHLBI: Pulmonary Rehabilitation: A Path to Breathing Better (Infographic)
- AARC: Pulmonary Rehabilitation (PR) Reimbursement Toolkit (toolkit)
- AACVPR: Pulmonary Rehabilitation Directory (webpage)
- EBV Therapy for Patients with Severe COPD (infographic)
- Endobronchial Valve Therapy: Information for Healthcare Providers (video)
- Lung Transplant (one pager)
- Palliative Care (worksheet)
COPD Educator Course
Expand Your Knowledge
Take a training, educational course, find resources and learn more about COPD trends data.
* Indicates CEUs and CMEs may be offered upon completion of the training or course.
- COPD Educator Course (live stream, virtual course) *
- Tobacco Cessation (training)
- Freedom from Smoking (facilitator training)
- Better Breathers Club (facilitator training)
- COPD Trends Brief (data trends report)
- Healthcare Providers and Vaccine Confidence (fact sheet)
- Infectious Respiratory Disease Basics (training)
- COPD Basics (training)
- COPD resources (one pager)
- COPD Screening, Assessment, and Prediction Tool (one pager)
- Billing Guide for Asthma and COPD Care (guide)
- COPD Overview Online Module (course)
Spirometry, or pulmonary function test, is the gold standard for diagnosing COPD. This objective measure can also guide COPD management. Here you will find tools for implementing and interpreting spirometry in your practice. Here you will find resources on how to implement and interpret spirometry for determining a patient’s level of COPD control.
Medication therapy is an important step to managing COPD. From controller, to relievers, to triple therapy, in this section you will find medication charts, medication videos and instructional handouts.
Tobacco and Vaping
Smoke from cigarettes and vaping devices puts people with COPD at risk for exacerbations and can worsen COPD progression. Exposure secondhand smoke can also exacerbate COPD symptoms. Quitting smoking is one of the most important steps patients can take to manage COPD. Here you will find cessation resources.
- Effective Tobacco Cessation Coverage and Health Systems Change (resource hub)
- The Impact of E-Cigarettes on the Lung (one pager)
- The Impact of E-Cigarettes on the Lung (Spanish one pager)
- What is Secondhand Smoke? (one pager)
- What is Thirdhand Smoke? (one pager)
- Billing Guide for Tobacco Screening and Cessation (billing guide)
- CDC: Tips from Former Smokers (campaign)
Understanding and Living with COPD (Patient Resources)
Understanding ways to manage one’s COPD is crucial for improving a person’s quality of life. Here, you will find patient educational videos, worksheets, and support programs to improve a patient’s understanding of living with COPD.
- Understanding COPD: Emphysema and Chronic Bronchitis (video)
- How Lungs Work (video)
- Saved by the Scan (video)
- Recovering from a Severe Lung Infection (video)
- Recuperarse de una infección pulmonar grave (Recovering from a Severe Lung Infection Spanish video)
- Mary Lou’s Story: Early Warning Signs of COPD (video)
- Treating Severe COPD with Endobronchial Valves (video)
- How to Start a Conversation About Palliative and Hospice Care with Dr. Jons (video)
- Interventional Therapies for COPD (recording)
- Managing Daily Activities and Living with Lung Disease (recording)
- Saved by the Scan: Lung Cancer Screening (quiz)
- Promoting Flu Vaccination for Caregivers of Older Adults (toolkit)
- Promoting Flu Vaccination for Older Adults and Caregivers (Spanish, posters)
- Is Endobronchial Valve (EBV) Therapy an Option for Me? (survey)
- Advanced Lung Care: A guide for people living with advanced lung disease (guide)
- Early Warning Signs of COPD (factsheet)
Stay Informed and Sign Up to Learn More
Sign up below and receive more information about the Lung Association's latest COPD-related healthcare, public health and patient resources.
Page last updated: September 26, 2023