Because many people with ARDS are hospitalized, it can be helpful to have a caregiver present when consulting your physicians. Ask your doctor the following questions to better understand an ARDS diagnosis:
- What is the prognosis for survival and discharge from the hospital in ARDS? Just how sick is my family member with ARDS?
- What are the main risks/side effects of mechanical ventilation?
- If someone requires mechanical ventilation, how long does it take to be weaned?
- If my family member has an acute episode of ARDS and can be discharged from the hospital, how long until they reach maximum recovery?
- What are the chances my family member will be able to recover to their previous level of lifestyle activity?
Page last updated: February 27, 2020