Because many people with ARDS are hospitalized, it can be helpful to have a caregiver present when consulting your physicians. Ask your doctor the following questions to better understand an ARDS diagnosis:
- What is the prognosis for survival and discharge from the hospital in ARDS? Just how sick is my family member with ARDS?
- What are the main risks/side effects of mechanical ventilation?
- If someone requires mechanical ventilation, how long does it take to be weaned?
- If my family member has an acute episode of ARDS and can be discharged from the hospital, how long until they reach maximum recovery?
- What are the chances my family member will be able to recover to their previous level of lifestyle activity?
Reviewed and approved by the American Lung Association Scientific and Medical Editorial Review Panel.
Page last updated: October 23, 2020