Since they are in the high-risk group, many times patients with severe hMPV are very young so they may need help gathering information on treatment and care from their doctor. Here are some questions to consider on their behalf:
- Is my child at risk of developing more severe symptoms? What can I do to prevent this?
- Is my child at increased risk for developing severe pneumonia?
- My child has a preexisting condition that compromises their immune system, how can I prevent symptoms from escalating?
- What treatment would you suggest? Are there any side effects I should be aware of?
- What steps could I take to protect myself from getting and spreading hMPV?
Reviewed and approved by the American Lung Association Scientific and Medical Editorial Review Panel.
Page last updated: February 27, 2020