Lung Association Applauds Governor Jared Polis Signing Radon Awareness Bill

The American Lung Association in Colorado Advocacy Director, Nick Torres, issued the following statement upon Governor Polis signing Senate Bill 23-206:

“Radon is an odorless, invisible gas, and the second leading cause of lung cancer. The only way to know if an elevated level of radon is present in a home is to test for it. Since Colorado is among the highest-risk states for radon exposure, it is imperative that we provide testing disclosures and warnings of the dangers of radon to prospective property buyers and tenants. The Lung Association thanks the bill’s prime sponsors, Senator Faith Winter, Representative Dafna Michaelson Jenet, and Representative Emily Sirota for their work on the bill and Governor Jared Polis for signing the bill into law. The enactment of this legislation means that Coloradans throughout the state will be better-informed and protected against the serious threat of lung cancer.”

Under the new law, residential property sellers and landlords are required to disclose knowledge of radon testing and mitigation in their properties and provide information to buyers and tenants about the dangers of radon and importance of testing.

For more information, contact:

James A. Martinez
(312) 445-2501
[email protected]

Asthma Basics Workshop - National
, | May 07, 2024
Asthma Basics Workshop - National
, | May 15, 2024