The American Lung Association’s Colorado-specific ONE Step training and practical application, provides Early Childhood Educators (ECEs) and organizations serving low-income parents with training and resources about the harms and common misconceptions of environmental aerosols from electronic smoking devices, tobacco smoke, and marijuana smoke, and the basics of asthma management, asthma triggers and ways to reduce asthma triggers. ONE Step curriculum focuses on center, home, and car environments for maintaining asthma friendly environments.
Using health-focused messaging about removing asthma triggers and environmental tobacco (including e-cigarette) smoke from homes, this program will equip ECEs with the knowledge and confidence to connect with parents about the dangers of SHS/SHA and how protecting their child’s health can begin with one simple step: stepping outside away from doors and windows to use tobacco products.
The benefits of this training include:
- Gaining the knowledge and tools to talk with parents about the effects of secondhand smoke, secondhand e-cigarette aerosol, and secondhand marijuana smoke
- Understanding the importance of maintaining a home free of tobacco and marijuana smoke, and aerosol from electronic smoking devices (ESDs)
- Encouraging “no smoking/no vaping” approach and practices in air shared by children and adults
- Learning about cessation resources available to Coloradans
After completing the online training, participants identify at least three ways they can share the resources and engage parents in the conversation around elimination SHS/SHA. Participants are fully supported by American Lung Association staff through access to free resources including:
- Children’s books
- Children’s coloring workbooks and crayons
- Brochures and flyers for parent education table
- Classroom activities discussing the impacts of SHS/SHA
- Fun incentives like kids masks, adult masks, and more
- Smoke/vapefree signage for indoor and outdoor areas
- Support implementing training or additional tailored training for staff and patrons done in partnership with the American Lung Association and participating organization
- Certificate of Completion
- Gift card for program completion
- CO Shines Professional Development hours – three in total
Upcoming ONE Step On-Demand and Virtual Trainings
ONE Step training is available in a live virtual setting (in English and Spanish) and is available in recorded in Spanish; and is free. This training is for Colorado residents only.
- On-demand Training (Spanish) - complete el formulario de registro simple y luego comience su entrenamiento. Los recursos en español específicos del programa están disponibles una vez en el webcast.
- On-demand Training (English)- complete the simple registration form and then begin your training. Program-specific Spanish resources are available once in the webcast.
- September 7th at 6:00PM MT (virtual English)
- September 28th at 1:00PM MT (virtual English)
- October 5th at 6:00PM MT (virtual English)
- October 19th at 1:00PM MT (virtual English)
- November 16th at 6:00PM MT (virtual English)
- December 14th at 6:00PM MT (virtual English)
Page last updated: August 29, 2022