National Manager, Media Relations (CHI #1819-93)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a National Manager, Media Relations to join our incredible team in the Chicago Office. Working as a member of the Marketing & Communications Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, you will be managing reactive and proactive media relations, the National Manager of Media Relations will secure media coverage for the American Lung Association and position the organization and Lung.org as the premier resource for lung health for the public and the news media. The manager serves as gatekeeper for all incoming media requests at the national office, vetting media inquiries, arranging interviews with volunteer and staff experts, and securing national media exposure for the American Lung Association. The manager will provide support to the volunteer spokesperson program. Responsible for monitoring daily news coverage, the manager will flag sensitive issues daily and build nationwide media reports for internal and external audiences quarterly, annually and as needed. In support of nationwide media strategies, this position will develop media materials for the Lung Association’s signature cause campaign LUNG FORCE, signature reports and signature events, including national media materials and customizable template media materials for regional and local communications.
- Supports media relations activities at the American Lung Association and works proactively to secure media coverage of the organization in broadcast, print and online.
- Serves as gate keeper for incoming media requests, and vets and responds to media requests in a timely manner, connecting media with appropriate and accurate information and resources.
- Build media reports for internal and external audiences annually, quarterly and as needed on campaigns, signature reports and volunteer spokesperson engagement.
- Monitor and conduct in-depth review of daily media coverage for Lung Association and related lung health and healthy air news, will flag issues for the team.
- Write/edit/post press releases, press statements, OpEds, LTEs and talking points.
- Manage and cultivate media lists for distributions and targeted pitching
- Manage the American Lung Association volunteer spokesperson program
- Coordinates annual orientation and media training for national volunteer spokespeople
- Collaborates with nationwide communicators to manage coordinated nationwide press outreach and offer template media materials and support as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or related field
- Three to six years of media relations experience, preferably for a nonprofit or health organization
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Good judgment, ability to work in a team environment
- Eagerness and willingness to learn
- Attention to detail, critical thinking
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Self-starter and excellent project management skills
- Experience with Cision/PR Vocus
- Media advocacy experience a plus.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free work place; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to (include job title and job number in subject of email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V