National Director, Individual and Planned Giving, Western Division (W.D #1819-103)
City: Seattle, Portland, Denver, San Diego, Phoenix
State: Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Arizona, California
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a National Director, Individual and Planned Giving, Western Division to join our incredible team. Working as a member of the Development Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, the National Director, Individual and Planned Giving is a motivated leader focused on facilitating growth and relationship development of individual donors in support of ALA nationwide revenue and mission goals. The successful candidate will meet or exceed revenue goals by advancing relationships with current donors and identifying, cultivating and soliciting new prospects through both major and planned giving.
Individual Giving Responsibilities:
- Achieve or exceed annual individual giving revenue goals.
- Manage a portfolio of 100-125 qualified prospects capable of making five and six figure contributions and above.
- Develop and maintain an ambitious schedule of face-to-face cultivation/solicitation/stewardship meetings (8-10 per month).
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, and solicit new prospects.
- Collaborate with field staff and others, including key volunteers, to identify current donors with the capacity to increase their support.
- Craft and execute cultivation and solicitation strategies for the aforementioned prospects.
- Together with the team, develop major and transformational gift opportunities for individual donors.
- Draft solicitation letters, proposals, reports and other written materials as needed.
- Track proposals and contributions, and regularly update/manage donor records in CRM database.
- All other duties as assigned.
Planned Giving Responsibilities:
- Identifies and contacts planned giving prospects via phone and personal visits.
- Identifies and visits estate attorneys and financial planners to present the ALA as a possible charity for their clients’ consideration.
- Offers educational opportunities and materials regarding planned giving for prospects/donors, volunteers and staff.
- Provides stewardship of donors who have already made a commitment to planned giving.
- Assists in writing marketing materials and communications for the planned giving program.
- Track proposals and commitments, and regularly update/manage donor records in CRM database.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Five or more years fundraising experience.
- Proven track record of personally soliciting and closing gifts of 5 to 6 figures.
- Knowledge of planned giving, including familiarity with all major forms of making planned gifts.
- Proven track record of working with planned giving donors and closing gifts.
- Goal oriented, independent, focused self-starter.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written), including strong presentation and negotiation skills.
- Exceptional listener with ability to understand needs and motivations of others, find common ground and build trust with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to represent mission and nonprofit programs in detail with passion and knowledge.
- Detail-oriented with strong, time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multifaceted projects and a capacity to perform well independently in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Commitment to, and passion for, the Lung Association’s mission.
- Ability to travel up to 40%, or as required.
- Excellent research and prospecting skills.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free work place; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to (include job title and job number in subject of email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V