Smokefree Policies in Multi-Unit Housing - Steps for Success
The American Lung Association worked with experts around the United States to develop this online curriculum on how to implement a smokefree policy in multi-unit housing properties like apartments and condominiums.
Secondhand smoke exposure poses serious health threats to children and adults. For residents of multi-unit housing (e.g., apartment buildings and condominiums), secondhand smoke can be a major concern. It can migrate from other units and common areas and travel through doorways, cracks in walls, electrical lines, plumbing, and ventilation systems. Learn more by reading our issue brief and factsheets:
- Smokefree Multi-Unit Housing: Bringing Healthy Air Home issue brief (Spanish version available here).
- Factsheet for Multi-Unit Housing Tenants Being Exposed to Secondhand Smoke
- Factsheet for Property Managers on Effective Enforcement of Smokefree Policies in Multi-Unit Housing
- View videos and success stories from communities that have been working to make multi-unit housing smokefree
By taking this online course, participants will have the information and tools to:
- Communicate the health and economic impact of secondhand smoke in multi-unit housing.
- Engage with building managers, property owners, policymakers, residents and other stakeholders to adopt smokefree multi-unit housing policies.
- Plan and implement a successful smokefree multi-unit housing policy.
- Identify resident rights and responsibilities, as well as options for providing services to help smokers quit.
To access the course:
- Accessing this course is quick and easy via American Lung Association's LUNGsmart. Simply register by clicking HERE.
Click "New User" and complete the short form.
You will use your email address as your username and create a password.
- To take the course, log back into LUNGsmart using your email/username and password.
Click on the "Catalog" tab
From the "Catalog" page, select the Public Health Education category and locate the SmokeFree Policies in Multi-Unit Housing course.
If you need technical assistance please submit your questions to email@example.com with LUNGsmart in the subject line.
The resources used throughout the course are collected in the "Advocates' Toolbox." Download the entire toolbox now. The contents are organized by the order in which they are presented.