LUNG FORCE Heroes
My father, a non-smoker, passed from lung cancer nearly five years ago. He was diagnosed after he developed a cough treated for a few months as pneumonia. The cancer was spotted a few years earlier at an ER visit, but the results were never passed along. He worked in a boat yard for many years, and that is what we suspect to be the cause. I recently acquired adult-onset asthma from mold exposure in my workplace, and am on daily inhalers and will be lifelong. Lung issues don't just happen to smokers. The environment we live and work in play a big part in lung health.
First published: October 29, 2013
American Lung Association is solely responsible for content.
Hero stories are the point of view of the Hero and not necessarily the American Lung Association. The Lung Association does not endorse any specific provider, facility or treatment.