YEAR OF AIR POLLUTION & HEALTH 2019
What Is the Year of Air Pollution & Health?
We are taking a full year to celebrate progress in reducing pollution in the air we breathe and highlight remaining obstacles to healthy air for all. Each month, we will spotlight the lifesaving importance of healthy air, focusing on different themes such as how air pollution harms health, who is at risk and ways to take action to protect our communities—especially in light of the challenge of climate change.
January: "Why Does Healthy Air Matter to You?"
Every day, everywhere, every single person breathes air. Yet not everyone has access to clean, healthy air. In fact, more than four in 10 Americans live where air pollution levels are too often dangerous to breathe. Air pollution takes a toll on the health and the lives of real people.
This month we want to focus on why air pollution and healthy air is important to people like you.
- Laura K. A mom of three children with asthma who relocated her family so they could avoid pollution that triggered their asthma attacks. Laura knows not everyone has that option, and wants to reduce the burden of air pollution for everyone.
- Melissa H. Her family suffered terrible air quality from wildfire smoke for nearly 6 weeks. The smoke filled her children's school, so she raised money for air purifiers and filters. Melissa knows climate change will increase the risk of wildfires and wants climate and clean air solutions so all kids can breathe healthy air.
- Dan D. Dan lived with COPD for years before receiving a double lung transplant—and he knows all too well that polluted air can make the simple act of breathing very difficult. Dan fights for healthy air every day so that others can breathe easier.
Take Action: Tell us why healthy air matters to you
This month, we are focusing on why healthy air is important to people like you. Please take a moment to fill out our quick survey. Every voice matters: If you breathe air, we want to hear from you!Take our survey
Events in January
- Webinar on the Latest Science on Air Pollution, Climate, and Health
Join us on Jan. 31 at 3 p.m. ET/2 p.m. CT to hear from the authors of recent reports on air pollution, climate change, and health, and learn what the research means for the air we breathe. Email [email protected] for more information and to register.
- Tweet Storm
Stay tuned for more information about a Tweet Storm we are holding on Jan. 23 at 2 p.m. ET/1 p.m. CT. The official hashtag will be #HealthyAirForAll.
- Learn why health and medical organizations are joining the Lung Association in calling for action to protect health from climate change.
- Watch our video to learn why air pollution and climate change matters to your health.
Year At-A-Glance Calendar
View and share our monthly topics in the Year of Air Pollution & Health. Download PDF
Official Year of Air Pollution & Health Partner Organizations
If your health or medical organization is interested in collaborating with the Year of Air Pollution & Health, please send a message with appropriate contact information so we can follow up: [email protected].