CHICAGO | July 28, 2021
The American Lung Association, the nation’s premiere resource for lung health, has expanded its network of lung health experts available to the news media through the fiscal year 2022. Now in its sixth year, the National Volunteer Medical Spokesperson Program includes 20 medical professionals from across the country with expertise in a wide number of lung health topics, from COVID-19 vaccinations, lung cancer, COPD, pulmonary fibrosis and asthma to healthy air, youth vaping and tobacco cessation.
“As we emerge from the pandemic, the need for reliable lung health information has never been greater,” said American Lung Association President and CEO Harold Wimmer. “The Lung Association Volunteer Medical Spokespeople provide the media and public with reliable, science-based lung health information. We are privileged to work with such well-respected experts and dedicated volunteers who advance our lifesaving mission work.”
The American Lung Association’s 2021-2022 volunteer spokespeople include:
- John Balmes, M.D., San Francisco, CA (Areas of Expertise: air pollution, lung health, occupational exposures)
- Rabih Bechara, M.D., Atlanta, GA (Areas of Expertise: pulmonology, critical care)
- Brian W. Christman, M.D., Nashville, TN (Areas of Expertise: general pulmonary medicine, health effects of air pollution)
- David Tom Cooke, M.D., FACS, Sacramento, CA (Areas of Expertise: thoracic surgery, lung cancer)
- Afif El-Hasan, M.D., Orange County, CA (Areas of Expertise: pediatric asthma and lung health)
- Panagis Galiatsatos, M.D., Baltimore, MD (Areas of Expertise: pulmonology, tobacco cessation, public health, youth vaping)
- Jamie Garfield, M.D., Philadelphia, PA (Areas of Expertise: pulmonology, thoracic surgery)
- Jorge Gomez, M.D., New York, NY (Areas of Expertise: lung cancer, oncology)
- Traci Gonzales, APRN, PNP-C, AE-C, Houston, TX (Areas of Expertise: pediatric asthma)
- Payel Gupta, M.D., New York, NY (Areas of Expertise: asthma, allergy, immunology, pediatrics)
- MeiLan Han, M.D., MS, Ann Arbor, MI (Areas of Expertise: COPD, interstitial lung disease, lung transplant, women's respiratory health)
- David G. Hill, M.D., Waterbury, CT (Areas of Expertise: pulmonology, critical care)
- Sumita Khatri, M.D., MS, Cleveland, OH (Areas of Expertise: pulmonology, asthma)
- Stephanie Lovinsky-Desir, M.D., MS, New York, NY (Areas of Expertise: pediatric pulmonology, pediatric asthma)
- Meredith McCormack, M.D., MHS, Baltimore, MD (Areas of Expertise: pulmonology, air pollution)
- Andrea McKee, M.D., Boston, MA (Areas of Expertise: lung cancer, lung cancer screening)
- Juanita Mora, M.D., Chicago, IL (Areas of Expertise: allergy, immunology, pediatrics)
- Cedric "Jamie" Rutland, M.D., Irvine, CA (Areas of Expertise: pulmonology, critical care)
- S. Christy Sadreameli, M.D., M.H.S., Baltimore, MD (Areas of Expertise: pediatric asthma and lung health, youth vaping)
- Jacob Sands, M.D., Boston, MA (Areas of Expertise: lung cancer, lung cancer screening, lung cancer stigma)
For media interested in scheduling an interview with an American Lung Association National Volunteer Spokesperson about lung health, lung diseases such as lung cancer, healthy air, tobacco use or more, contact Elizabeth Cook at [email protected] or 312-801-7631. A full list with biographies and headshots of volunteer spokespeople may be found at Lung.org/media.
The American Lung Association is the leading organization working to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through education, advocacy and research. The work of the American Lung Association is focused on four strategic imperatives: to defeat lung cancer; to champion clean air for all; to improve the quality of life for those with lung disease and their families; and to create a tobacco-free future. For more information about the American Lung Association, which has a 4-star rating from Charity Navigator and is a Gold-Level GuideStar Member, or to support the work it does, call 1-800-LUNGUSA (1-800-586-4872) or visit: Lung.org.
A Breath of Fresh Air in Your Inbox
Want updates on the latest lung health news, including COVID-19, research, inspiring stories and health information?
Join the 700,000+ people getting our email updates!
A Breath of Fresh Air in Your Inbox
You will now receive email updates from the American Lung Association.