FORT LAUDERDALE, FL | May 5, 2021
Next week, May 9 – May 15, the American Lung Association in South Florida will celebrate LUNG FORCE Turquoise Takeover with several events throughout the week.
The LUNG FORCE initiative’s annual Turquoise Takeover unites men and women to raise critical awareness of lung cancer, the nation’s #1 cancer killer. Residents are encouraged to get involved by wearing turquoise, posting to social media and/or participating in one of the many local activations.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has been a stark reminder of the importance of lung health, especially for those with lung diseases. For many with lung cancer, the burden has become more acute, with the pandemic adding more challenges, such as increased risk of complications from COVID-19 and changes or delays in treatment,” said Violet Nikolici Lowrey, MBA, CPRW, CEMC, Director of Student Services for Keiser University - Fort Lauderdale Campus, co-chair of Turquoise Takeover and Lung Association in South Florida Local Leadership Board member. “The pandemic also temporarily delayed access to lung cancer screening for many people at high risk. Among diverse communities who have been hardest hit by COVID-19, these difficulties may be even worse. For these reasons and many more, raising awareness and funds for lung health are more important than ever. We encourage our community to get involved in one of our many Turquoise Takeover activities this week.”
Here are 8 ways that residents can get involved in Turquoise Takeover:
- $35k Matching Campaign with Tito’s Handmade Vodka and Southern Glazer’s Wine and Spirits: Tito's Handmade Vodka and Southern Glazer's Wine and Spirits have committed to being a force against lung cancer, and they are encouraging members of the community to do the same. From now through the month of June, all donations will be matched up to $35,000. As a part of this campaign, participating restaurants throughout South Florida will offer a Turquoise cocktail. Learn more and donate at www.TurquoiseTakeoverChallenge.org.
- LUNG FORCE Turquoise Takeover Virtual Run/Walk: From May 9 -15 during Turquoise Takeover, we encourage residents to participate in South Florida's inaugural Virtual LUNG FORCE Run/Walk. It doesn't matter whether you stroll, saunter, power-walk, or run. All are welcome and registration is free. Learn more and register here.
- Lung Cancer Patient Virtual Meetup: LUNG FORCE is hosting a free Lung Cancer Patient Virtual Meetup for patients and caregivers on May 11. At the event, Cleveland Clinic Florida’s Dr. Ihab AlShelli will speak on “Lung Cancer and Other Lung Diseases.” The event is free and open to the public. Those interested can register at Lung.org/patient-meetup.
- Kelley Uustal Trial Attorneys Social Media Takeover: On May 10, Kelley Uustal Trial Attorneys will host a social media takeover of the Lung Association in South Florida Facebook and Instagram pages. Kelley Uustal Trial Attorneys is a sponsor of Turquoise Takeover.
- Turquoise Takeover Yoga: May 11: On May 11 at 7 p.m., Bright Drop Yoga will host Turquoise Takeover Yoga via Zoom. There is a suggested donation of $10 to attend. Prior to the yoga session, WELLESSENCE Essential Oils will be hosting an informational session. The Zoom link will be emailed to each donor. To make donation, visit http://action.lung.org/goto/BrightDropYoga.
- Memorial Cancer Institute Speaker Series and Social Takeover: On May 12, the Lung Association will host our Community Connections Speaker Series on Facebook Live and Zoom about “Lung Cancer and COVID-19” featuring Dr. Gelenis Domingo, hematologist-oncologist for Memorial Cancer Institute (register here). On May 13, Memorial Cancer Institute will take over the American Lung Association in South Florida’s social media accounts. Learn more about these events by following us at https://www.facebook.com/LungSoFla.
- Shop for a Cause: During Turquoise Takeover, several local businesses are donating a portion of their proceeds to the Lung Association. Here are some places where you can shop and give back:
- SpaJuice Bar on Las Olas: All month long, SpaJuice Bar is donating 15% of their proceeds when you purchase the Majik Lemonade & Love Squad Smoothie.
- ThemeDresser: From May 8 – June 6, ThemeDresser is donating 15% of their proceeds on all purchases. www.Themedresser.com.
- Shop for a Cause on Las Olas: On May 14th, J.McLaughlin and Lilly Pulitzer will donate 15% of all sales.
- Scentsability: From May 8 – June 6, Scentsability will donate 20% to the Lung Association with promo code is American Lung. Shop at www.shopscentsability.org.
- Local Illuminations: Every year, LUNG FORCE celebrates Turquoise Takeover by turning landmarks and buildings across our nation turquoise - LUNG FORCE’s signature color - to increase education and provide hope for those living with lung cancer. In South Florida, these buildings and landmarks will be turning turquoise to raise awareness for lung cancer:
- Allied Bath and Kitchen
- DCOTA Center
- Las Olas Blvd
- Keiser University
- Lynn Cancer Institute
- Lynn Women’s Institute
- Marine Industries Association of South Florida
- Broward Health Medical Center
- MCI at Memorial Regional Hospital
Those who want to help raise funds and defeat lung cancer can visit www.TurquoiseTakeoverChallenge.org to learn how to get involved.
The American Lung Association is the leading organization working to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through education, advocacy and research. The work of the American Lung Association is focused on four strategic imperatives: to defeat lung cancer; to champion clean air for all; to improve the quality of life for those with lung disease and their families; and to create a tobacco-free future. For more information about the American Lung Association, a holder of the coveted 4-star rating from Charity Navigator and a Gold-Level GuideStar Member, or to support the work it does, call 1-800-LUNGUSA (1-800-586-4872) or visit: Lung.org.
A Breath of Fresh Air in Your Inbox
Want updates on the latest lung health news, including COVID-19, research, inspiring stories and health information?
Join the 700,000+ people getting our email updates!
Thank you! You will now receive email updates from the American Lung Association.