ORLANDO, FL | May 4, 2021
Next week, May 9 – May 15, the American Lung Association in Central Florida will celebrate National Women’s Lung Health Week with a LUNG FORCE Turquoise Takeover.
The LUNG FORCE initiative’s annual Turquoise Takeover unites men and women to raise critical awareness of lung cancer, the nation’s #1 cancer killer. Residents are encouraged to get involved by wearing turquoise, posting to social media and/or participating in one of the local activations.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has been a stark reminder of the importance of lung health, especially for those with lung diseases. For many with lung cancer, the burden has become more acute, with the pandemic adding more challenges, such as increased risk of complications from COVID-19 and changes or delays in treatment,” said Janelle Hom, executive director of the Lung Association. “The pandemic also temporarily delayed access to lung cancer screening for many people at high risk. Among diverse communities who have been hardest hit by COVID-19, these difficulties may be even worse. For these reasons and many more, raising awareness and funds for lung health are more important than ever. We encourage our community to get involved in one of our many Turquoise Takeover activities this week.”
Here are 5 ways that residents can get involved in Turquoise Takeover:
- LUNG FORCE Run/Walk at SeaWorld: On May 8, the Lung Association will host the LUNG FORCE Run/Walk at SeaWorld. For the event, participants will run or walk a 5K through SeaWorld, where they will see all the main features of the park. Learn more and register at LUNGFORCE.org/Orlando.
- Lung Cancer Patient Virtual Meetup: The Lung Association is hosting a free Lung Cancer Patient Virtual Meetup for patients and caregivers on May 11. At the event, AdventHealth’s Dr. Marcelo DaSilva will speak about HER2 lung cancer. The event is free and open to the public. Those interested can register at Lung.org/patient-meetup.
- Turquoise Takeover Reception: On Friday May 14 from 5-7 p.m., the Lung Association is hosting a casual, spatially distanced reception at the Kendra Scott located at the Mall at Millennia. The event will include cocktails, light bites, a jewelry raffle, and Color Bar raffle. 20% of proceeds from that evening and through the weekend go back to support LUNG FORCE. More information is available on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/alafcentral.
- Lung Chat: Next week, the Lung Association will host a Lung Chat on Facebook with Dr. Cynthia Gries, a Transplant Pulmonologist from AdventHealth, to talk about LUNG FORCE, lung cancer and women’s lung health. The event is free and open to the public. Watch for it on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/alafcentral.
- AdventHealth Turns Turquoise: Every year, LUNG FORCE celebrates Turquoise Takeover by turning landmarks and buildings across our nation turquoise - LUNG FORCE’s signature color - to increase education and provide hope for those living with lung cancer. In Central Florida, we are happy to have AdventHealth’s Ginsberg Tower and Women’s Hospital turning turquoise to raise awareness for lung cancer.
Those who want to help raise funds and defeat lung cancer can visit LUNGFORCE.org/Orlando to learn how to get involved.
The American Lung Association is the leading organization working to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through education, advocacy and research. The work of the American Lung Association is focused on four strategic imperatives: to defeat lung cancer; to champion clean air for all; to improve the quality of life for those with lung disease and their families; and to create a tobacco-free future. For more information about the American Lung Association, a holder of the coveted 4-star rating from Charity Navigator and a Gold-Level GuideStar Member, or to support the work it does, call 1-800-LUNGUSA (1-800-586-4872) or visit: Lung.org.
A Breath of Fresh Air in Your Inbox
Want updates on the latest lung health news, including COVID-19, research, inspiring stories and health information?
Join the 700,000+ people getting our email updates!
Thank you! You will now receive email updates from the American Lung Association.