Helping with Pulmonary Fibrosis Treatment
There is no one treatment plan for someone with pulmonary fibrosis. Treatment can change as the disease progresses. Helping your loved one stay organized by taking notes and filling out paperwork can be a great help. Follow the tips below for other ways you can help with PF treatment.
- Learn how to use oxygen equipment.
- Make sure your loved one knows how to use it.
- Make sure you are using oxygen equipment safely.
- Work with the oxygen supplier and help fill out paperwork.
- Learn other ways to support someone on oxygen.
- Make sure your loved one is taking all medications as directed.
- Create a medication schedule and a list of all medications for the patient to take with them to every appointment.
- Encourage them to discuss medication side effects and palliative care with their doctor.
- Encourage your loved one to ask their doctor about clinical trials.
- Most transplant centers require patients to have a caregiver to help care for them through the transplant process.
- Help gather information, talk with doctors and support them emotionally.
- Many transplant centers have classes just for caregivers to help you adjust to your role.
Support a Healthy Lifestyle
Reviewed and approved by the American Lung Association Scientific and Medical Editorial Review Panel. Last reviewed January 22, 2018.
Page Last Updated: March 13, 2018
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.