Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Coccidioidomycosis
Making notes before your visit and taking along a trusted family member or friend can help you through the first appointment with your doctor.
If you believe that you may have coccidioidomycosis:
- What symptoms suggest coccidioidomycosis?
- What tests are needed to make the diagnosis?
- If the initial tests are negative, what follow-up, if any, is needed?
If you have been diagnosed with coccidioidomycosis:
- How do we know whether I need treatment?
- How frequently do I need follow-up, and what follow-up testing will I need?
- How long do I need to be treated, and what are the possible side effects?
- What are the potential downsides of not taking antifungal therapy if it is prescribed?
- What signs or symptoms of progressive disease should I watch for?
- What are the long-term effects of coccidioidomycosis?
If you are traveling to/through the endemic region and have an increased risk for developing severe infection:
- Am I at increased for getting coccidioidomycosis?
- What, if any, preventive measures should I take?
- If I get sick, where should I go to get care?
Last updated April 4, 2018.
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.