Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia
Learn as much as you can about your child's daily care. This will help you to identify questions early on. Parents are encouraged to spend time in the ICU to begin to bond with the baby before he or she comes home.
Learn more about BPD from your doctor and become familiar with the various medications and treatments. Do not hesitate to seek medical care when you think that there is something wrong with your child.
Making notes before your visit, as well as taking along a trusted family member or friend, can help you through the first appointment with your doctor.
Questions that will help clarify and lead to a better understanding of your child's condition include:
- What is my child's diagnosis?
- What caused the BPD?
- How severe is my child's BPD?
- Is there more than one disease or condition that could be causing my child's symptoms?
- What are the treatment options?
- What are the benefits of each option? What are the side effects?
- Will my child need any further testing?
- What is likely to happen in the short-term and as the baby gets older?
- What will the medicine you are prescribing do?
- How do I fit the care of my child into my daily routine?
- Do I need a follow-up visit for my child and how often?
- Should my child see specialists?
- What can I do about my own health to help keep my baby healthy?
Page Last Updated: May 9, 2018