Order a Radon Test Kit
Short Term Radon Test Kits
- Should be used if you are doing a radon test for the first time.
- Should be used if you have done a short-term measurement before that reported elevated levels and you need to conduct a second verification test.
- Last 3-7 days in length
- Conduct test every two years or if major renovation occurs.
Long-Term Radon Test Kits
- Should be used if you have done a short-term measurement before that reported low or elevated levels and you would like to conduct a second test. Provides an average over a longer period.
- Last 3-12 months in length
Radon in Illinois
What Is the Risk from Radon in Illinois?
- As many as 1,160 Illinois citizens are at risk of developing radon-related lung cancer each year according to the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA) and EPA.
- The average Illinois indoor air radon concentration is 5.1 pCi/L, above the EPA action level (Source: IEMA).
- Approximately one in two homes tested in Illinois (45 percent of homes) have radon at or above the EPA action level of 4 pCi/L. (Source: IEMA).
Illinois Radon Hotline
Need more information on radon in Illinois? Call the Illinois Radon Hotline at 1-800-325-1245. Operating hours are 8:30 am (CST) through 4:30 pm (CST). If you are calling after standard operating hours, the automated messaging service will record your message and a staff member will return your call.
For a list of radon measurement and mitigation specialists please visit the Illinois Emergency Management Agency's website.
Illinois Radon Home Buyers Guide for Real Estate Transactions
The Radon Home Buyer’s Guide video, based on Illinois radon regulations and EPA’s Home Buyer’s guidance, is a short video designed to educate Home Buyer’s about radon risk in Illinois prior to home purchase. Watch video.
Illinois Radon Licensure Courses
The American Lung Association in Illinois offers online and classroom style radon measurement and radon mitigation courses for people interested in obtaining their Illinois Radon Measurement or Mitigation license. See online courses and information.
Illinois Radon Poster & Video Contests
The Illinois Radon Poster and Video Contests are made possible through a partnership with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and Illinois Emergency Management Agency.
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.