Accomplishments for the 2019 Spring Legislative Session:
- Tobacco 21 which raises the age to purchase tobacco products from 19 to 21. Effective Date 7/1/19
- $1/pack cigarette tax increase on top of the highest in the country tax in the City of Chicago at $7.17. The state tax will now be $2.98/pack and in Chicago the tax will be $8.17/pack. Effective Date 7/1/19
- Defined e-cigarettes as Tobacco Products & licensed e-cigarette retail stores as Tobacco Retail Stores. Effective Date 7/1/19
- Implemented a 15% of wholesale cost tax on e-cigarettes, device and liquid. Effective date 7/1/19
- Prohibited smoking in vehicles with anyone under the age of 18. Effective Date 1/1/20
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.