American Lung Association Legacy Society
Improving Lung Health for Future Generations
The American Lung Association Legacy Society recognizes supporters who have remembered the American Lung Association through their estate plans. The generosity of Legacy Society members helps us continue to fight for a world free of lung disease, and we are deeply grateful for each enduring commitment to our cause.
Video: Watch why Harold P. Wimmer, National President & CEO of the American Lung Association is a member of the Legacy Society. (Transcript.)
How Our Legacy Began
Our history began in 1904 with a mission to fight tuberculosis (TB), the most feared disease in the world. What started as a charitable giving campaign to save a local TB sanatorium has led to more than 100 years of milestones in the fight for healthy lungs and healthy air. We helped find a cure for TB. Now the American Lung Association dedicates its efforts to combat all lung diseases. Our mission to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease remains as strong today as it was generations ago.
Today, our vision is a world free of lung disease as we strive to:
- Defeat lung cancer
- Improve the air we breathe so it will not cause or worsen lung disease
- Reduce the burden of lung disease on individuals and their families
- Eliminate tobacco use and tobacco-related disease
You Help Us Keep Our Vision Alive
Your charitable contributions have shaped our past and will help determine our future. With your help we can make our vision a reality for generations to come.
We invite you to join the American Lung Association Legacy Society.
By becoming a member of the American Lung Association Legacy Society, you join a special group of individuals who have made a lasting imprint on our work. Your generosity fuels research that continues to unlock the secrets of lung diseases, from asthma to lung cancer. It helps create educational materials that give patients tools to take control of their illness and it maintains programs such as Freedom From Smoking®—the gold standard for those who want to quit using tobacco. Lasting contributions make it possible for us to produce annual reports, such as State of the Air—a national benchmark for air quality that spurs communities across the country to take action against pollution. These are just some of the ways your gift can make a difference in the lives of millions of people.
As an American Lung Association Legacy Society member, you will:
- Know that your gift today will help future generations breathe easier.
- Be recognized as a member of the Legacy Society.
- Get invited to events hosted by your local American Lung Association.
- Stay informed about the work of the American Lung Association, nationwide and in your community.
How to Join
Become a member of our Legacy Society by including the American Lung Association in your estate plans. Here are a few examples:
- Bequest – remember the American Lung Association in your will
- Charitable Trust – create income for yourself and transfer assets to us later, or specify a time period to give income to the Lung Association, after which the assets are given back to your family.
- Retirement Plans – name American Lung Association as a beneficiary
- Life Insurance – transfer ownership of a policy or make us a beneficiary
If you have already included the American Lung Association in a bequest or other planned gift, we hope you will let us know. Call 1-800-LUNGUSA or email [email protected].
Page Last Updated: May 15, 2018
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.