As we look back at fiscal year 2018, standing together against threats to public health, air quality and healthcare coverage for millions of Americans, it’s as true now as it has ever been—nothing matters more than breath. We’re inspired every day by compelling stories, from people living with lung cancer, COPD and pulmonary fibrosis to parents of children with asthma, youth enticed to try e-cigarettes and residents now protected from secondhand smoke in public housing. It is your stories that inspire us every day and drive us forward toward our vision of a world free of lung disease.
We invite you to look through this report at some of the highlights of the past year, including:
- Funding important lung disease research and helping secure additional National Institutes of Health (NIH) lung cancer research funding
- Launch of the public awareness campaign Saved By The Scan, educating people at high risk for lung cancer about the importance of screening
- The culmination of 10 years of effort to protect public housing residents from secondhand smoke
- Our work to support healthy air, the Clean Air Act and the Clean Power Plan
- Our efforts to protect youth from e-cigarettes, cigars and flavored tobacco products
- Education and resources provided to people living with lung disease
- Advocacy to protect healthcare coverage for millions of Americans
- Launch of our new first-of-its-kind report, the “State of Lung Cancer”
- And, much more.
We have a lot of exciting highlights and stories to share, but we could not have done it without you. If not for the generous support of our donors throughout the year, much of this exciting work would not have happened.
To you, the many individuals, families, foundations and businesses who make our lifesaving work possible, we offer a heartfelt thank you. On behalf of our National Board, nationwide volunteers and staff, we are deeply grateful for your support.
Nearly 115 years ago, we were founded by volunteers to address the tuberculosis epidemic. Still led and driven by volunteers, our work today - to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease – including lung cancer, the leading cause of cancer deaths - is no less important. Our commitment to you in the year ahead is to continue our excellent stewardship of your donations, with 88 cents of every dollar going to program services that support our lifesaving mission, and to continue the fight for healthy air and healthy lungs for all Americans.
Yours in good health,