Intern, Health Promotions (IA #1920-22)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Intern, Health Promotions to join our incredible team in our Urbandale, IA office. Working alongside members of the Health Promotion & Education Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, the intern will assist the American Lung Association Health Promotion and Education staff to execute communication and marketing plans for signature program activities to gain experience in the field of health promotions, communications, and marketing.
This is a great opportunity for the intern to enhance their skills in organization, multi-tasking and communications. The intern can expect to develop confidence and marketable skills by engaging in or assisting with many of the following activities:
- Gain a basic understanding of the American Lung Association
- Become knowledgeable of mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing social media platforms, telecommuting software, and customer relationship management software.
- Participate in staff meetings and learning opportunities.
- Assist with general administrative support for the LUNG FORCE Expo healthcare professional conference to gain exposure to specific events terminology.
- Assist in the communications and marketing for American Lung Association signature programs such as Freedom from Smoking and Better Breathers Club.
- Assist in compiling databases for mass awareness campaigns for signature programs.
- Assist with brainstorming and providing creative ideas to execute the LUNG FORCE Expo event.
- Gain a basic understanding of social media platforms, telecommuting software, and customer relationship management platforms.
- Learn more about non-profit structure, including mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing project management plan.
- Learn about team building and collaborating with staff.
- Learn how to develop communications for health promotion programs.
- Learn to cultivate relationships.
- Learn how to communicate in a professional office setting.
TYPE OF INTERNSHIP
Before internship begins, documentation from the school may be required stating that this internship opportunity is eligible for academic credits.
This is an unpaid internship position requiring a minimum time commitment of 10 hours per week (flexible schedule) and must be eligible for course credit. This position is for Spring 2020, beginning in January 2020 and ending in May 2020.
- Must be working towards a Bachelor's Degree in Non-Profit Management, Marketing, Communications, or related field
- Must be eligible to receive college credit for internship
- Qualified candidates must be enthusiastic, reliable, and interested in developing a career in marketing/communications or non-profit management
- Qualified candidates should possess strong writing skills, attention to detail, and have a keen interest in the mission of the American Lung Association
- Ability to multitask, perform in a team environment, and a demonstrated willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Computer Proficiency – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (supplies)
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all unpaid interns and volunteers must abstain from tobacco use in any form
Please e-mail you cover letter and resume to (include EXACT title in subject of email):
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.