Coordinator, Helpline (Bilingual) (SPI #1920-50)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Coordinator, Helpline to join our incredible team in the Upper Midwest Region. Working as a member of the Helpline Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for providing information or guidance regarding tobacco/smoking cessation counseling to the general public and corporate wellness clients, in both English and Spanish. This is a grant funded position.
- Answer Quitline incoming calls related to those who are seeking assistance in stopping tobacco use – providing reactive and proactive counseling, in both English and Spanish.
- Provide written and oral translation between English and Spanish.
- Complete and maintain documentation in the database for each call – logging message left on voicemail, performing counseling and follow ups on designated calls as appropriate.
- Provide information or guidance on all questions regarding tobacco cessation via Quitline technology (telephone, chat, text, email).
- Participate in course and become certified as a tobacco treatment specialist; maintain CEU requirement for certification.
- Follow Quitline protocol on all responses.
- Refer questions to the medical team when deemed appropriate.
- Assure all information is collected and entered into the database.
- Assist in assembling and mailing appropriate requested material.
- Participate as a member of the resource evaluation committee to assure continual updating of resources.
- Assist in indexing new materials.
- Be familiar with current smoking cessation and tobacco intervention techniques for the purpose of counseling.
- Understand and implement protocols for dealing with special groups or projects.
- Become familiar with all issues concerning tobacco prevention and environmental issues.
- Coordinate and implement mission related activities.
- Coordinate, implement and monitor deliverables.
- Complete reports as assigned.
- Staff committees and work groups as assigned.
- Continually seek innovative ALA growth
- Certification as an addiction counselor and/or experience in counseling, community health education or social work is preferred with a minimum of 3-5 years proven experience. Previous experience with tobacco cessation or health behavior change, preferred.
- Fluent in English and Spanish; translation skills from one language to another, both written and oral.
- Ability to communicate effectively on the telephone and online via chat and demonstrate good customer service.
- Ability to relate to persons with diverse educational, socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Ability to handle a “call center” environment; manage large amounts of inbound and outbound calls in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently in a telephone call center.
- Ability to work schedule – 1:30 pm – 9:00 pm (9-week training daytime schedule – 8:00 am – 3:30 pm)
- Critical skills required including analytical decision making, customer resource knowledge, organizing and coordinating, position-specific expertise, interpersonal understanding, teamwork/internal partnership, individual accountability, initiative, versatility and self-management.
- Ability to work weekend schedules as assigned.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook. Good typing skills.
- Familiarity with CRM systems and practices.
- Must have valid Driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace, all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to (include job title and job number in subject of email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.