Specialist, Helpline (SPI#2021-55)
The American Lung Association has an excellent opportunity for a Specialist, Helpline to join our incredible team in the Upper Midwest Region. Working as a HelpLine Team member, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for working within the American Lung Association grant funded program, Illinois Tobacco Quitline, the incumbent will provide information or guidance regarding tobacco/smoking cessation counseling to the general public and corporate wellness clients. This position is grant-funded.
- Answer Quitline incoming calls related to those who are seeking assistance in stopping tobacco use – providing reactive and proactive counseling along with counseling on chronic disease management.
- Complete and maintain documentation in the database for each call – logging message left on voicemail, performing counseling and follow ups on designated calls as appropriate.
- Provide information or guidance on all questions regarding tobacco cessation via Quitline technology (telephone, chat, text, email).
- Provide information or guidance on all questions regarding chronic lung disease management (telephone, chat, text, email).
- Participate in course and become certified as a tobacco treatment specialist; maintain CEU requirement for certification.
- Maintain certification in respiratory care or nursing.
- Follow Quitline protocol on all responses.
- Follow HelpLine protocol on all responses.
- Assure all information is collected and entered into the database.
- Participate as a member of the resource evaluation committee to assure continual updating of resources.
- Assist in indexing new materials.
- Be familiar with current smoking cessation and tobacco intervention techniques for the purpose of counseling.
- Understand and implement protocols for dealing with special groups or projects.
- Become familiar with all issues concerning tobacco prevention and environmental issues.
- Coordinate and implement mission related activities.
- Coordinate, implement, and monitor deliverables.
- Complete reports as assigned.
- Staff committees and work groups as assigned.
- Continually seek innovative ALA growth
- Certification as an addiction counselor and/or experience in counseling, community health education or social work is preferred with a minimum of (5) years proven experience. Previous experience with tobacco cessation or health behavior change, preferred.
- Certification as a registered respiratory therapist or registered nurse; minimum of 3-5 years proven experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively on the telephone and online via chat and demonstrate good customer service.
- Ability to relate to persons with diverse educational, socioeconomic, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Ability to handle a “call center” environments; manage large amounts of inbound and outbound calls in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently between the hours of 1:30 – 9:00 pm CT on Monday thru Thursday and 9 am – 5 pm CT on Sundays.
- Critical skills required including analytical decision making, customer resource knowledge, organizing and coordinating, position-specific expertise, interpersonal understanding, teamwork/internal partnership, individual accountability, initiative, versatility, and self-management.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook. Good typing skills.
- Familiarity with CRM systems and practices.
- Hold valid driver's license and be able/willing to attend events as requested. (Travel/mileage reimbursed according to ALA policy).
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends, as needed.
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (event supplies).
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace, all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to (include the job title and the job number in the subject of the email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V