Specialist, Health Promotions (NYC #2122-36)
City: New York
The American Lung Association has an excellent opportunity for a Specialist, Health Promotions to join our incredible team in the Northeast Region. Working as a member of the Health Promotion & Education team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible to coordinate, implement and evaluate lung health programs throughout New York as well as the Asthma Management in Schools grant throughout New York State. This position is grant-funded.
- In collaboration with the AMS Grant Manager, coordinate and execute all aspects of the Asthma Management in Schools (AMS) program initiatives, with a focus on the greater NYC market, including program implementation, evaluation activities, and management of statewide partner contract; as part of the grant contract.
- Assist AMS Manager and work collaboratively with statewide/regional asthma contractors/ partners/ organizations working to expand comprehensive asthma control services.
- Represent asthma school initiatives in selected districts, schools, school-based health centers, community events and meetings, primarily in the greater NYC area and as designated by the Manager.
- Provide logistical support for asthma training workshops, meetings, and events. Assist in developing and writing various educational materials.
- Represent the Association as a member of community, civic, and/or health coalitions and organizations related to the Association’s mission.
- Build, maintain, and cultivate relationships with funders, facilitators, and community partners to encourage program delivery, sustainability, and growth across service territory, including ALA signature programs where applicable.
- Select and participate in local, state, and national seminars and courses designed to increase skills and knowledge related to job requirements.
- Serve on ALA’s regional and national workgroups and committees as requested.
- Participate in and support all area events and provide support for annual report, awards, grants and other activities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in public health, education, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum two years of experience working with youth in a community setting and developing and implementing community awareness, education, and programs specifically related to areas of public health.
- Prior experience in public health, community relations, public policy, and/or advocacy.
- Must be a self-starter with excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Positive attitude with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Required to travel periodically for meetings and conferences.
- Ability to lift approximately 25 lbs.
- Able to work with minimum direct supervision, make decisions, and take initiative.
- Proven ability to cultivate and steward relationships across a diverse population.
- Flexibility to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends with some overnights required. Must have a valid Driver’s license.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and Internet applications.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form. Also, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless approved for medical or religious exemption.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to (include the job title and the job number in the subject of the email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V