Specialist, Health Promotions (NY #2021-81)
The American Lung Association has an excellent opportunity for a Specialist, Health Promotions to join our incredible team. Working as a member of the Health Promotion and Education team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for overseeing all aspects related to the “Reality Check” Youth Engagement program in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, including: developing relationships with youth serving organizations throughout the catchment area; recruiting, training, and retaining a core group of youth in each county; attending all Reality Check state/regional trainings and events; and attending all staff trainings/meetings as required by the grant..
- Recruit and train a core group of youth leaders to educate local leaders and state legislators on the effects of retail tobacco marketing on youth tobacco use, engage in events to create awareness and support for initiatives, and participate in activities to reduce tobacco imagery and presence in youth-rated movies and on social media.
- Together with community engagement staff and statewide partners, plan, organize, and hold required local educational events, statewide trainings, and other events, including youth participation in Legislative Action Day and annual statewide youth summit.
- Engage, develop, and mobilize community members, leaders, and youth-related organizations to educate, support, and advance tobacco-free initiatives.
- Establish relationships with media sources to increase awareness and build support for initiatives from the community.
- Develop and submit timely reports as required by the Association and funders, including but not limited to weekly updates in the Association’s database, as well as monthly management, grant, and program metrics reports.
- Represent the Association as a member of community, civic, and/or health coalitions and organizations related to the Association’s mission.
- Build, maintain, and cultivate relationships with funders, facilitators, and community partners to encourage program delivery, sustainability, and growth across service territory, including ALA signature programs where applicable.
- Select and participate in local, state, and national seminars and courses designed to increase skills and knowledge related to job requirements.
- Serve on ALA’s regional and national workgroups and committees as requested.
- Participate in and support all area events and provide support for annual report, awards, grants and other activities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in public health, education, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Minimum two years of experience working with youth in a community setting and developing and implementing community awareness, education, and programs specifically related to areas of public health.
- Prior experience in public health, community relations, public policy, and/or advocacy.
- Must be a self-starter with excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Positive attitude with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Required to travel periodically for meetings and conferences.
- Ability to lift approximately 25 lbs.
- Able to work with minimum direct supervision, make decisions, and take initiative.
- Proven ability to cultivate and steward relationships across a diverse population.
- Flexibility to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends with some overnights required. Must have a valid Driver’s license.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office and Internet applications.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form. Also, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless approved for medical or religious exemption.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to (include the job title and the job number in the subject of the email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V