Specialist, Health Promotions (IA #1920-93)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for two Specialist, Health Promotions to join our incredible team in the Upper Midwest Region. Working as a member of the Health Promotion & Education Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for successful completion of assigned/required goals and activities for the Community Partnership tobacco control grant funded by the Iowa Department of Public Health, Division of Tobacco Use Prevention & Control. This is a grant-funded position.
- Work in a team setting to achieve required activities within the Community Partnership grant
- Contribute to quarterly progress reports and monthly reporting of grant activities
- Establish relationships with local businesses and community leaders to work towards implementing tobacco and nicotine-free policy systems change
- Communicate tobacco cessation programs available and free resources, such as Quitline Iowa, with communities and businesses in our service area
- Implement policy and systems change in regard to tobacco control grant activities
- Explore opportunities to connect and enhance collaborations throughout the Lung Association
- Participate in and support all area events.
- Serve on ALA’s regional and national workgroups and committees as requested.
- Represent the association as a member of community, civic and/or health coalitions and organizations related to the ALA’s mission.
- Build, maintain and cultivate relationships with funders, facilitators, and community partners to encourage program delivery, sustainability, and growth across Iowa, including ALA signature programs where applicable.
- Select and participate in local, state and national seminars and courses designed to increase skills and knowledge related to job requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in public health or related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- One to two years of Health, Wellness or Tobacco prevention and control experience
- Experience working with community groups
- Minimum two years of experience developing and implementing community awareness, education, and programs specifically related to areas of public health.
- Prior experience in public health, community relations, public policy, and/or advocacy.
- Must be a self-starter with excellent communication skills both written and oral.
- Ability to multi-task in a faced paced environment.
- Positive attitude with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to lift approximately 25 lbs.
- Able to work with minimum direct supervision, make decisions, and take initiative.
- Proven ability to cultivate and steward relationships across a diverse population.
- Flexibility to work irregular hours, including evenings and weekends with some overnights required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to (include job title and job number in subject of email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V