Director, Advocacy TX, OK (SW #1920-72)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Director, Advocacy TX, OK to join our incredible team in the Southwest Region. Working as a member of the Advocacy and Public Policy Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for the implementation of the local and state public policy initiatives for the American Lung Association in Texas and Oklahoma as well as assist our Washington, D.C. staff with our Federal priorities. This is a grant funded position.
- Work collaboratively with staff and volunteers within the American Lung Association in Texas and Oklahoma as well as with external partners to implement the organization’s policy agenda.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key government officials on ongoing basis; enhance understanding of Lung Association mission and activities.
- Lobby local, state and federal elected officials to pass Lung Association endorsed lung health-related policies or to stop measures opposed by the Lung Association.
- Engage constituents and volunteers into advocacy activities, such as meeting with elected officials, offering testimony, writing letters and other materials.
- Build advocacy networks (such as LUNG FORCE Hero advocates, lung health and health professional champions, e-advocates) through recruitment and ongoing engagement as part of a larger Association effort to build a robust constituent base.
- Represent Lung Association on relevant local and regional coalitions (tobacco control, asthma and air quality).
- Comply with all lobbying reporting requirements.
- Support the local development team by improving alignment and coordination of Lung Association mission, advocacy and community engagement into fundraising initiatives.
- Identify policy success stories, personal stories and potential spokespeople for communications and development teams to highlight internally and externally.
- Serve as policy spokesperson for the annual State of Tobacco Control, State of Lung Cancer and State of the Air signature reports and maximize media coverage through strategic media outreach.
- Collaborate on budget development and implementation for Advocacy and Public Policy Division activities.
- Serve on work teams as assigned.
- B.S. or B.A. degree in public health, health policy, political science, government or related area with 5-7 years of experience in the public or private sectors, preferably at the state-level with a focus on grassroots advocacy, media/public relations and direct lobbying.
- Understanding of state, local and federal government and legislative processes.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, problem solve, thrive under pressure, perform multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Organized with attention to detail, accuracy and quality.
- Experience in public health, tobacco control, environmental advocacy, or health policy is preferred.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free work place; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to (include job title and job number in subject of email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.