Intern, Health Promotions (TX #1819-28)
City: San Antonio
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Intern, Health Promotions to join our incredible team in our San Antonio office. Working alongside members of the Health Promotion & Education Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will help assist the Special Projects Team to execute and implement grant deliverables to gain experience in the field of public health, with an emphasis on development of campaigns to promote education, awareness, and screening Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD).
This is a great opportunity for the intern to enhance their skills in organization, multi-tasking and communications. The intern can expect to develop confidence and marketable skills by engaging in or assisting with many of the following activities:
- Gain a basic understanding of the American Lung Association
- Become knowledgeable of mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Participate in staff meetings and learning opportunities.
- Assist in the drafting, design and distribution of flyers, graphics, e-blasts, posters and other marketing materials.
- Assist with drafting a plan to build awareness of COPD, its risk factors, a call to action for target audiences.
- Assist in developing social media content and presence, including scheduling social media postings. Work with administrators to post content.
- Assist with brainstorming and providing creative ideas and help identify opportunities to market events/programs.
- Work with ALA communications teams to help develop news releases.
- Participate in the collection of patient stories and help create a storytelling database for use in communications.
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas and directions for marketing and communications.
- Learning Outcomes:
- Gain a basic understanding of community outreach marketing and communications strategies
- Learn more about Non-Profit structure, including mission, development, and communications efforts
- Gain technical training by assisting with marketing ALA educational resources to educate the community
- Learn about team building and collaborating with staff
- Learn how to develop communications for marketing and outreach calls
- Learn to cultivate relationships
- Learn how to communicate in a professional office setting
TYPE OF INTERNSHIP
Internship eligibility and available course credit will be confirmed with the student’s academic institution prior to beginning the community outreach intern position. The Intern will be responsible for course reporting requirements to the school’s academic advisor and the American Lung Association.
This is an unpaid internship position requiring a minimum time commitment of 15 hours per week (flexible schedule) and must be eligible for course credit. This position will be a five-month commitment starting in the spring semester beginning February 2019 and will end by June 2019.
- Must be working toward a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in Marketing or Communications from an accredited university
- Candidates must have a sincere interest in learning about the American Lung Association’s mission programs and initiatives and must maintain a smoke-free lifestyle
- Qualified candidates must be enthusiastic, reliable, and interested in developing a career in Marketing & Communications or Non-Profit Management
- Must possess strong writing skills and attention to detail
- Ability to multitask, perform in a team environment, and demonstrate willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Must be computer-literate and possess proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Must be familiar with available tools and platforms in the media space
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (supplies)
- Must have own computer and cell phone to communicate with project staff
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all staff, interns and volunteers must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
Please e-mail you cover letter and resume to (include EXACT title in subject of email):
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V