Development Intern (NY #1819-04)
City: New York
State: New York
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Development Intern to join our incredible team in our New York City office. Working alongside members of the Development Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will assist the American Lung Association Development staff to execute fundraising development activities to gain experience in the fields of Fundraising, Development, Marketing & Communications, and Event Planning.
This is a great opportunity for you to enhance your organization, multi-tasking and communications skills. As an intern, you can expect to develop confidence and marketable skills by engaging in or assisting with many of the following communication activities:
- Event preparation: gain hands-on experience by assisting with event logistics, managing/coaching team captains and volunteers, solicitation and coordination of in-kind sponsors.
- Participate in the community events’ recruitment process.
- Assist with general administrative support for the Development Department to gain exposure to specific events terminology.
- Serve as liaison for customer service and troubleshooting for signature events and internal kickoffs.
- Assist in planning of the American Lung Association’s special events.
- Assist with brainstorming and providing creative ideas to execute on events and fundraising platforms.
- Participating in staff meetings and learning opportunities.
- Gain a basic understanding of media platforms by assisting in the preparation and production of marketing and media materials.
- Learn about the Non-Profit structure, including mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Learn time management strategies by effectively meeting special projects deadlines as assigned by Development Team, in addition to executing projects related to the day to day administrative options of the Manhattan, NY office.
- Gain technical training by utilizing ALA’s digital properties.
- Learn about team building and cross-functional collaboration.
- Learn how to develop communications for the Development Department.
- Learn how to cultivate relationships and effectively engage volunteers.
- Learn about the different Fundraising initiatives by serving as a representative of the American Lung Association at ALA special events, Expo, community events, and third-party events.
- Learn how to effectively communicate in a professional office setting.
TYPE OF INTERNSHIP
This is an unpaid internship position requiring a minimum time commitment of 10 hours per week (flexible hours).
You must be eligible for course credit. This internship is for the 2018 Fall Semester (September – December 2018).
- Must be working towards a Bachelor's Degree in Non-Profit Management, Communications, Marketing, or related field
- Must be eligible to receive college credit for internship
- Willing to attend association events, if necessary.
- Must be enthusiastic, reliable, and interested in developing a career in marketing, communications, or non-profit management
- Possess strong writing skills, attention to detail, and have a keen interest in the mission of the American Lung Association
- Ability to multitask, perform in a team environment, and a demonstrated willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to cultivate and steward relationships across a diverse population.
- Computer Proficiency – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Comfortable speaking to patients, volunteers, & sponsors
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (supplies)
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all unpaid interns and volunteers must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
Please e-mail you cover letter and resume to (include EXACT title in subject of email):
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Sign up for the latest lung health news delivered right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.