National Senior Vice President, Human Resources (CHI #1819-123)
The American Lung Association is looking for a Senior Executive to join our amazing team as National Senior Vice President, Human Resources to help us achieve our goal of bringing the best people together around the mission of our organization. Our people are one of our most vital components, so we're looking for someone to lead the entirety of the HR function including recruiting, compensation, benefits, operations, diversity & inclusion, and learning & development. This is a critical role on the executive team reporting directly to the President and CEO.
Working out of the Chicago Office, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
Values and Employee Experience:
- Focus on creating the best possible employee experience for ALA’s workforce.
- Support retention by continuing to make ALA an amazing place to work and achieve personal fulfillment while working to achieve the organization’s mission.
- Develop and oversee programs to drive employee engagement and satisfaction.
- Deliver fundamental HR functions to our employees with a service philosophy of continuous improvement and innovation.
- Lead an operationally strong human resources team with scalable systems, processes and analytics to measure and constantly improve ALA’s people experience.
- Establishes credibility throughout the organization to be an effective listener and problem solver of people issues.
- Spearhead the development and implementation of human resource policies and procedures consistent with Federal and State laws. Oversee periodic updates of the HR Policies Manual.
- Interpret and provide management advisement on policies or regulations and their role in providing both fair treatment for all employees and protection against employment practices and other legal exposure for the association.
- Interface with legal counsel, actuaries, brokers and insurers to minimize ALA's legal and financial exposure. Direct review of employment practices and draft contracts/agreements. Develop analyses and recommendations for senior management.
- Coordinate with legal counsel and insurance brokers to ensure effective response to legal actions and insurance claims resolution. Oversee workplace investigations and represent the organization at hearings.
- Perform any other duties and leadership responsibilities deemed necessary by CEO.
Thought Leadership and Coaching:
- Act as a positive change agent to introduce a more growth focused culture into the organization.
- Provide strategic approaches to balancing national and local human capital needs.
- Assist managers at all levels to excel in managing geographically dispersed teams.
- Work effectively, transparently and in a partner-like fashion to advise, coach and influence the executive leadership team.
- Work closely with executives on matters of talent, succession, development and compensation.
- Provide strategic framework for aligning teams to work cross functionally to support new technologies and initiatives.
Learning and Development:
- Provide strategic leadership in the implementation of Lung University training for staff development and new employee orientation programs.
- Conduct ongoing organizational and employee needs assessments to identify gaps and develop training needed to drive organizational success.
- Develop and enhance employee learning and development, including: mentors and leaders, effective communications, compliance, diversity and inclusion.
- Develop and implement systems that inspire and recognize excellence and high achievement
- Oversee design/development of employee recognition programs to reward excellence and longevity, to enhance team spirit and to encourage employee commitment to ALA.
- Identify and recommend initiatives and practices to cultivate and facilitate employee engagement.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Understand workforce needs as the organization scales – managing costs while staying competitive with salaries, benefits, perks, etc.
- Monitor and apply market data, ensuring alignment with the organization's total compensation philosophy.
- Lead the development of appropriate systems for job classification. Develop and implement job description criteria and corresponding job requirements for all positions.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive compensation program and oversee periodic analyses of ALA compensation structure, benchmarking salaries and benefits against market levels. Oversee periodic pay structure revisions.
- Oversee the performance and compensation review process.
- Administer and update, as necessary, performance review program and train managers to coach employees.
- Maintain employee benefits programs and vendor relationships, evaluate benefit contracts; and design and conduct educational programs to inform employees about benefits.
- Oversee the recruitment process by developing staffing strategies and implementing plans and programs to identify talent within and outside the organization for positions of responsibility. Identify appropriate and effective external sources for candidates for all levels within the organization.
- Develop and implement strategies to support the advancement of diversity and inclusion into the organization’s culture.
- Lead in the development of a recruiting and interviewing program; counseling managers on candidate selection; and conducting and analyzing exit interviews.
- Provide strategic leadership in continuing to build out ALA's People team and functions.
- Place a high priority on inclusiveness and diversity in recruitment efforts.
- Bring an analytical, data-based approach to building ALA's talent, aligning ALA's business objectives with the broader people strategies.
- Bring an optimal mix of talent acquisition strategies ranging from social platforms to recruiting teams.
- Develop and implement a talent strategy approach by identifying potential talent, developing assessment processes, creating developmental programs, implementing effective employee retention programs, and guiding succession planning for key senior roles.
- Develop and deploy effective change management tools and processes.
- Oversee the development and implementation of management training in interviewing, hiring, terminations, promotions, performance review, safety, and sexual harassment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Human Resources/Organizational Development or equivalent
- 10+ years of experience as a People/HR professional
- Strategically inclined, with prior experience as part of an executive team
- Strong foundation across all HR functional areas including; talent planning and management, organizational development, compensation and benefits, compliance/legal policies, learning and development, rewards, engagement, employee relations, etc.
- Ability to translate strategy into plans and effectively drive successful cross-functional initiatives, setting direction, engaging multiple parties, executing outcomes, and communicating to key stakeholders
- Professionalism and experience working to ensure compliance and risk management in a growing business
- Track record building and leading a high-performing, cross-functional team across recruiting, compensation, business partnerships, learning and development, and administration
- Strong business insight and analytical skills; comfortable using metrics to inform and influence decisions.
- Consistent track record of aligning people strategy with the goals of the business
- Experience managing and mentoring a team
- Experience building and leading a high performing team of technical recruiters working for a mission and values driven organization
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free work place; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
The American Lung Association has retained MarketPro to lead our efforts for this search.
Click Here to Apply: National Senior Vice President, Human Resources
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V