National Director, Advocacy, Healthy Air (DC #1920-56)
State: District of Columbia
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a National Director, Advocacy, Healthy Air to join our incredible team in the National Office. Working as a member Advocacy and Public Policy Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for planning, implementing and directing advocacy strategy for the Healthy Air Campaign. Represents the American Lung Association before Congress and federal regulatory agencies and develops advocacy materials. Provides technical assistance and consultation to coalition partners and field staff. This is a partial grant funded position.
- Issue Advocacy
- Develops and implements advocacy strategy on clean air and climate change priorities.
- Serves as lead lobbyist and directs advocacy activities, including meetings with Members of Congress and congressional staff, for Healthy Air Campaign.
- Monitors, tracks and researches relevant federal policy, and makes recommendations for official Lung Association positions.
- Writes correspondence with Members of Congress.
- Writes federal regulatory comments.
- Writes and delivers public hearing testimony; recruits and assists others in delivering testimony.
- Writes factsheets, e-advocacy email and web content, and briefing papers and contributes to the development of media advocacy materials.
- Supports health and medical coalition partners in healthy air advocacy activities.
- Collaborates with other national organizations on assigned issues.
- Training/Field Support
- Develops and facilitates training on advocacy skills and policy issues for field staff, consultants and volunteers.
- Consults and advises field staff and volunteers on policy issues. Creates advocacy resource materials for nationwide field staff.
- Provides technical support on advocacy issues and strategy.
- Develops materials to support American Lung Association Healthy Air Campaign program.
- General Support
- Provides organizational support to the Healthy Air Campaign, including tracking and reporting on national and field advocacy and policy work; supporting key Lung Association priorities, and performing administrative tasks as instructed.
- Supports fundraising efforts of the campaign for policy activities by drafting appropriate content for grant proposals and tracking and reporting on activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in public health, health policy, environmental management, political science, government or related area.
- Six to eight years of congressional or legislative experience as a legislative aide, legislative representative, grassroots organizer or related position in a voluntary health organization, non-profit organization, professional society, company or government agency.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
- Computer proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Working knowledge of social media.
- Ability to work independently while maintaining collaborative functions with interdivisional teams, national office local organizations.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free work place, all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to (include job title and job number in subject of email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.