Development Internship (WA #1819-15)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Development Intern to join our incredible team in our Seattle, WA office. Working alongside members of the Development Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, the intern will assist the American Lung Association Development staff to promote and execute fundraising activities to gain experience in the field of special event planning.
This is a great opportunity for the intern to enhance their skills in organization, multi-tasking and communications. The intern can expect to develop confidence and marketable skills by engaging in or assisting with many of the following activities:
- Gain a basic understanding of the American Lung Association
- Become knowledgeable of mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing special event databases and social media platforms.
- Participate in staff meetings and learning opportunities.
- Assist with general administrative support for upcoming special events to gain exposure to specific events terminology
- Assist in data entry, tabling promotional events, mailings, event promotion, volunteer recruitment, and participant outreach
- Assist with brainstorming and providing creative ideas to execute successful marketing, recruitment, and fundraising plans for special events.
- Assist in developing and publishing content for special events, including social media communications and calendars
- Analyze content performance on social media channels and assist in developing measures to enhance performance
- Learn how to develop inbound and outbound communications strategy
- Develop basic understanding of branded content development and communications
- Gain a basic understanding of Convio, Brandhub, social media platforms, and content management system.
- Learn more about Non-Profit structure, including mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing the special events database and office programs.
- Learn about team building and collaborating with staff.
- Learn how to develop communications for social media platforms, volunteer recruitment, and participant recruitment.
- Learn to cultivate relationships.
- Learn how to communicate in a professional office setting.
TYPE OF INTERNSHIP
Before internship begins, documentation from the school is required stating that this internship opportunity is eligible for academic credit.
This is an unpaid internship position requiring a minimum time commitment of 10 hours per week (flexible schedule) and must be eligible for course credit. This position is for Fall 2019.
- Must be working towards a bachelor’s degree in Non-Profit Management, public relations, marketing, or related field
- Must be eligible to receive college credit for internship
- Qualified candidates must be enthusiastic, reliable, and interested in developing a career in special events, fundraising, or non-profit management
- Qualified candidates should possess strong writing skills, attention to detail, and have a keen interest in the mission of the American Lung Association
- Ability to multitask, perform in a team environment, and a demonstrated willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Computer Proficiency – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (supplies)
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all unpaid interns and volunteers must abstain from tobacco use in any form
Please email your cover letter and resume to (include EXACT title in subject of email):
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Sign up for the latest lung health news sent right to your inbox.
Join more than 500,000 people who receive research updates, inspiring stories, health information and more.