Manager, Advocacy, Healthy Air (MA #2122-29)
City: Home-based (Harrisburg or Pittsburgh) or (Morgantown or Charleston)
State: PA, WV
The American Lung Association has an excellent opportunity for a Manager, Advocacy, Healthy Air to join our incredible team in the Mid-Atlantic Region. Working as a member of the Advocacy and Public Policy team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will serve as a field organizer for the American Lung Association’s Healthy Air Campaign, a federal advocacy effort, working to build and demonstrate health and medical community support in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, as well as other priority states for key federal and state policies to reduce pollution in the air we breathe and address climate change to protect public health. Coordinate coalition building, field organizing, advocacy, and communications efforts for the Healthy Air Campaign in Pennsylvania and West Virginia, with the potential to expand organizing work to additional states if the policy landscape requires it. This is a grant-funded position.
- Identify and cultivate health and medical organization partnerships throughout target states; serve as key information source on policy developments; organize events and facilitate coalition communications and engagement; coordinate with related campaign efforts in target states.
- Recruit and support grassroots and grasstops volunteers who care about heathy air and/or climate action and are willing to share their stories with decision-makers and media; coordinate activities with Lung Association Leadership Boards.
- Develop and implement creative communications and event strategies in coordination with national campaign team and consultants; conduct thought leader events and issue briefings; craft earned media materials; support the annual release of “State of the Air” report.
- Organize constituent delegations to meet with decision-makers to show support for campaign priorities.
- Manage the preparation of state-specific Healthy Air Campaign workplan and materials; join weekly Healthy Air Campaign field calls; track progress on grant deliverables; draft and submit required reports to local and national office on the progress of the campaign.
- Perform other duties as needed, including support for administration, fundraising, and development for campaign.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, environmental or health policy, or related field -- or equivalent combination of education and work experience -- required.
- Three to five years of related experience required, preferably with voluntary health organizations, advocacy organizations, or patient advocacy groups.
- Experience with grassroots organizing, coalition-building, and media strategy are essential.
- General knowledge of clean air, climate change, clean vehicles, environmental policy a strong plus.
- Ability to build and sustain relationships with volunteers; excellent project management skills; excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well as part of a team and with a wide range of people, ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines, ability to work independently, and adapt to changing situations.
- Ability to travel as needed, including at least one trip to each key target state and to Washington, DC per year.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs.
- Current valid driver’s license.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all interns must abstain from tobacco use in any form. Also, all interns are required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless approved for medical or religious exemption.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to (include the job title and the job number in the subject of the email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V