Manager, Advocacy, Clean Air (NV #1920-136)
City: Las Vegas
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Manager, Advocacy, Clean Air to join our incredible team in the Southwest Region. Working as a member of the Advocacy and Public Policy Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for expanding the American Lung Association’s public education and advocacy in Nevada and Arizona, splitting their time evenly between both states. The Manager will work to build and demonstrate health and medical community support in both states for policies to reduce pollution in the air we breathe and address climate change to protect public health, including policies promoting cleaner vehicles and renewable energy. This is a grant-funded position.
- Identify and cultivate health and medical organization partnerships throughout Arizona and Nevada; serve as key information source on policy developments; organize events and facilitate coalition communications and engagement; coordinate with related campaign efforts in the state outside of the health community.
- Recruit and support health and medical professionals, and other grassroots and grasstops volunteers, who care about healthy air and/or climate action and are willing to share their stories with decision-makers and media; coordinate activities with Lung Association Leadership Board.
- Develop policy content to support public outreach; work in coordination with national campaign team and consultants to draft letters, factsheets, policy briefs, and media materials; support the release of State of the Air report.
- Engage with policymakers to educate them about the need for clean air and climate action to protect public health; represent the American Lung Association before public agencies, at conferences and other venues to advance the mission of the organization.
- Other duties as needed, including support for broad organizational goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, environmental policy or related field.
- Three to five years of advocacy experience in voluntary health organizations, advocacy organizations or patient advocacy groups preferred.
- Experience with public policy advocacy, coalition building and media strategy are essential.
- General knowledge of clean air, climate change, and environmental policy.
- Ability to travel, including occasional overnight travel.
- Ability to build and sustain relationships with volunteers; excellent project management skills; excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well as part of a team and with a wide range of people; ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines; ability to work independently and adapt to changing situations.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply send cover letter, resume and salary requirements to (include job title and job number in subject of email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V