Manager, Advocacy, Clean Air (CA #1920-141)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Manager, Advocacy, Clean Air to join our incredible team in the California Region. Working as a member of the Advocacy & Public Policy Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for deepening the Lung Association’s public education and advocacy work on clean air issues in California. Working closely with the Director, Clean Air Advocacy and Director, Health Partnerships, both based in California, the Manager will expand the role of health professionals in advocacy and communications on cleaner cars and trucks standards, zero emission transportation funding, and renewable electricity policy. This is a grant funded position.
- Maintain and deepen health and medical organizational partnerships throughout California; serve as key information source to coalition members on policy developments; organize events and facilitate coalition communications and engagement; coordinate with related campaign efforts in the state outside of the health community.
- Recruit and support health and medical professionals, and other grassroots and grasstops volunteers, who care about heathy air and/or climate action and are willing to share their stories with decision-makers and media; coordinate activities with Lung Association Leadership Boards.
- Track policy developments and engage policymakers on California-specific clean air and climate initiatives, including the California Low Emission Vehicle and Zero Emission Vehicle standards; Clean Trucks and Zero Emission Freight regulations; Zero Emission Transportation Funding; and renewable energy and energy efficiency policy.
- Develop policy content to support public outreach; work in coordination with national campaign team and consultants to draft letters, factsheets, policy briefs, and media materials; support the release of State of the Air report.
- Other duties as needed, including support for broad organizational goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, environmental policy or related field.
- Three to five years of advocacy experience in voluntary health organizations, advocacy organizations or patient advocacy groups preferred.
- Experience with public policy advocacy, coalition building and media strategy are essential.
- General knowledge of clean air, climate change, and environmental policy.
- Ability to work remotely (computer will be provided.)
- Ability to travel, including occasional overnight travel.
- Ability to build and sustain relationships with volunteers; excellent project management skills; excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well as part of a team and with a wide range of people; ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines; ability to work independently and adapt to changing situations.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
To apply send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to (include job title and job number in the subject of the email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V