Intern, Health Promotions (ES #1920-63)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Intern, Health Promotions (ES #1920-63) to join our incredible team in our Essington, PA office. Working alongside members of the Health Promotion & Education Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, the intern will assist the American Lung Association Health Promotion & Education staff to execute develop and promote and advance lung health education program planning and gain experience in the field of health promotion.
This is a great opportunity for the intern to enhance their skills in organization, multi-tasking and communications. The intern can expect to develop confidence and marketable skills by engaging in or assisting with many of the following activities:
- Gain a basic understanding of the American Lung Association
- Become knowledgeable of mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing internal learning management system (LMS) to complete lung health education and program training curricula.
- Participate in staff meetings and learning opportunities.
- Support health promotion programs and activities
- Assist with general administrative support for Better Breathers Club and other health promotions activities to gain exposure to specific concepts and terminology.
- Assist in the recruitment of program partners, facilitators, members and guest speakers for Better Breathers Club in community, senior services and healthcare settings.
- Assist in compiling, verifying and updating Better Breathers Club program records and contact information, including attending and observing Clubs if possible.
- Assist with brainstorming and providing creative ideas to execute partnership development and program promotion outreach.
- Support LUNG FORCE Expo-Baltimore activities
- Assist with administrative support in preparing for the LUNG FORCE Expo Baltimore (April 2020)
- Outreach to recruitment of new participants, reminder calls to currently registered attendees and assist with confirming last minute details
- Gain a basic understanding of lung health education platforms.
- Learn more about Non-Profit structure, including mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing lung health education and program training curricula.
- Learn about team building and collaborating with staff.
- Learn how to develop communications for health promotion programs and activities.
- Learn to cultivate relationships.
- Learn how to communicate in a professional office setting.
TYPE OF INTERNSHIP
Before internship begins, documentation from the school may be required stating that this internship opportunity is eligible for academic credits.
This is an unpaid internship position requiring a minimum time commitment of 14 hours per week (flexible schedule) and must be eligible for course credit. This position is for Winter/Spring 2020.
- Must be working towards a bachelor's degree in Non-Profit Management, Public Health, Health Education, Social Work, Communications or related field
- Must be eligible to receive college credit for internship
- Qualified candidates must be enthusiastic, reliable, and interested in developing a career in public health, health education, social services, or non-profit management
- Qualified candidates should possess strong writing skills, attention to detail, and have a keen interest in the mission of the American Lung Association
- Ability to multitask, perform in a team environment, and a demonstrated willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Computer Proficiency – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (supplies)
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all unpaid interns and volunteers must abstain from tobacco use in any form
Please e-mail you cover letter and resume to (include EXACT title in subject of email):
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V