Job Number: WA #2122-35U
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Development Intern to join our incredible team in Seattle, WA. Alongside members of the Development team, the intern will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
The intern will assist the American Lung Association Development staff to execute the event procurement, event marketing, grant applications, participant communications, and social media management activities to gain experience in the field of communications, event management and fundraising.
TYPE OF INTERNSHIP
Before an unpaid internship begins, documentation from an accredited college or university will be required stating that this internship opportunity is eligible for academic credit.
This is an unpaid internship position requiring a minimum time commitment of 10 hours per week (flexible schedule) and must be eligible for course credit. This position is for Spring or Summer 2022 and must be completed by May 2022.
This is a great opportunity for the intern to enhance their skills in organization, multi-tasking and communications. The intern can expect to develop confidence and marketable skills by engaging in or assisting with many of the following activities:
Gain a basic understanding of the American Lung Association
- Become knowledgeable of mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Canva, ALA databases and e-commerce platforms, Convio, & ROI
- Participate in staff meetings and learning opportunities.
- Assist with general administrative support for communications to gain exposure to specific events terminology.
- Assist in the development of media materials such as social media posting and graphic design.
- Assist in compiling and executing communications plans with participants and community partners.
- Assist with brainstorming and providing creative ideas to execute communications efforts for events, programs and advocacy efforts for teams throughout the Western Division.
- Assist with general administrative support for the American Lung Association of WA events to gain exposure to specific events terminology.
- Assist in data entry, tabling promotional events, mailings, event promotion dissemination and volunteer recruitment.
- Identify new audiences to target for event recruitment.
- Assist with data collection for program evaluation.
- Apply for foundation grants.
- Gain a basic understanding of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Strava, Canva, Microsoft Office platforms.
- Learn more about Non-Profit structure, including mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and OneDrive.
- Learn about team building and collaborating with staff.
- Learn how to develop communications for community outreach, procurement, grant applications, participant event marketing & management.
- Learn to cultivate relationships.
- Learn how to communicate in a professional office setting.
- Must be working towards a bachelor's degree in Non-Profit Management, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field
- Must be eligible to receive college credit for internship
- Qualified candidates must be enthusiastic, reliable, and interested in developing a career in Development, Special Events, Public Relations, or non-profit management
- Qualified candidates should possess strong writing skills, attention to detail, and have a keen interest in the mission of the American Lung Association
- Ability to multitask, perform in a team environment, and a demonstrated willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Computer Proficiency – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (supplies)
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all interns and volunteers must abstain from tobacco use in any form and are also required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless approved for medical or religious exemption.
In an e-mail include a cover letter and resume to (reference the EXACT title in the subject of email):
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
For more details about this role please reach out to [email protected].