Executive Director, Metro New York and Northern New Jersey
City: New York
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for an Executive Director, Metro New York and Northern New Jersey to join our incredible team in the Northeast Region. Working as a member of the Development Team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for increasing mission activities through effective and successful implementation of fundraising initiatives and for creating an atmosphere in which market staff and volunteers successfully partner to meet all American Lung Association strategic imperatives. As the lead fundraiser in Metro New York and Northern New Jersey, the Executive Director is responsible for meeting and/or exceeding all revenue goals related to Special Events, Corporate Development, and Individual Giving, with an emphasis on unrestricted revenue streams. This is accomplished through leadership, management and growth of market revenue generating capacity, and the recruitment and engagement of high-level volunteers for Leadership Board and Event Committee service. The Executive Director will serve as the lead staff in the market, fostering a spirit of camaraderie among the local staff team reflected in exceptional community engagement.
- Serve as the lead development officer and oversee unrestricted revenue goals in Metro New York and Northern New Jersey, including special events, individual and corporate giving.
- Meet or exceed fiscal unrestricted revenue goals.
- Ensure the effective implementation of all fundraising activities including, but not limited to, signature events and cause campaign, using nationwide, proven-effective best practices.
- Lead nationally-designed LUNG FORCE (Strategic Cause Campaign) activities throughout the Metro New York and Northern New Jersey area.
- Directly manage, hire, train, and evaluate all local fundraising staff ensuring that the team is tracking to meet market revenue goals. Provide ongoing development opportunities, feedback and course corrections when necessary.
- Develop, cultivate, and solicit a personal portfolio of local corporate prospects with an emphasis on meeting and/or exceeding corporate revenue goals in event sponsorship and cause related marketing.
- Working together with the Nationwide Individual Giving Team, develop, cultivate, and solicit a personal portfolio of individuals for mid-level, major, and/or planned gifts.
- Foster a culture of philanthropy amongst all Metro NY and Northern NJ staff and volunteers.
- Provide effective support for volunteer fundraisers.
- Evaluate market success and potential and, together with the Regional Development Lead and Executive Vice President, develop plans which support market revenue growth and mission delivery.
- Identify and foster corporate relationships for potential multi-region and/or nationwide engagement.
Volunteer Recruitment and Engagement:
- Establish and build strategic and sustained relationships with key business leaders, individual donors, event participants, top government officials, members of the media and community leaders.
- Identify and recruit a strong Leadership Board Chair and Vice Chair and work with them during their two-year term to foster a culture of philanthropy amongst all volunteer leadership.
- Identify, recruit and engage a strong market Leadership Board of 12-18 members using Nationwide, proven-effective best practices. Leadership Board members must have the capacity and connectivity to leverage resources and influence support. Revenue raised as a result of Leadership Board member involvement will be tracked and measured against American Lung Association standards.
- Serve as the staff lead to the Leadership Board, providing guidance, support, materials, reports, and assistance in implementing annual work plans while ensuring the ongoing development of a strong and participatory Leadership Board.
- Together with the Regional Development Lead, provide an annual analysis of Board performance.
- Responsible for the recruitment and engagement of corporate leaders to chair all event committees.
- Together with the local Development Team, support, manage, and successfully engage a committee of corporate leaders for each signature event.
- Serve as the first point of contact in the market for constituents, media, and the general public, coordinating with the market staff team to best handle inquiries about the American Lung Association’s mission.
- Together with the Mission Team, cultivate community relationships.
- Together with the Regional Mission Lead, provide leadership to Mission staff members in the market.
- Provide feedback to the Regional Mission Lead for all local mission staff performance reviews.
Operational and Fiscal Management:
- Provide a supportive, positive, and collaborative working environment for staff and volunteers.
- Foster a strong working relationship between Mission and Development teams.
- Operate within the approved budget for the Metro New York and Northern New Jersey market, ensuring maximum resource utilization and a positive financial position.
- Provide a minimum of monthly reports to the Executive Vice President and Regional Development Lead, including revenue forecasting.
- Participate in training opportunities and provide encouragement for the team in Metro New York and Northern New Jersey to do the same.
- Actively participate on regional and/or national work teams to collectively improve Development outcomes.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Regional Development Lead or the Executive Vice President.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university required, preferably in Non-Profit Management, Marketing, or related field.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A minimum of eight years in non-profit management with a successful track record in revenue generation through peer-to-peer special events and corporate development.
- Ability to successfully leverage relationships and negotiate agreements.
- Proven supervisory, leadership, and team building skills.
- Strong experience in volunteer recruitment and engagement.
- Experience with individual donors a plus.
- Ability to meet American Lung Association’s standards of excellence, professionalism, and integrity.
- Ability to work as a critical part of a larger nationwide team, building a strong working relationship between the Metro New York and Northern New Jersey market and the National office.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and frequently changing deadlines with ease and adaptability.
- Proactive and service oriented, with strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to travel (20%).
- Ability to work weekends and evenings as needed.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office programs. Thorough understanding of information technology and the ability to use e-commerce and database platforms.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace, all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form.
This search is being conducted by The Batten Group:
Click Here to Apply: Executive Director, Metro New York and Northern New Jersey
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V