Division Director, Marketing & Communications - Eastern (NTL #2122-19)
City: Chicago, Atlanta, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale
State: IL, GA, FL
The American Lung Association has an excellent opportunity for a Division Director, Marketing & Communications - Eastern to join our incredible team. Working as a member of the Marketing & Communications team, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through research, education, and advocacy.
Are you a media relations expert ready to make an impact? The Marketing and Communications Director conducts media relations and media outreach in the key markets in these areas around Lung Association signature reports, events, programs, and initiatives, to build conversations in the news media and drive public, donor and media engagement. The Director also provides staff in those states with marketing assistance, approval of promotional pieces and assists with social media efforts. In this role, The Eastern Division Marketing & Communications Director is responsible for the execution of the National communication and marketing strategies locally for the Southeast Region (states of NC, SC, GA, FL, LA, AL, MS, AR) as well as developing local strategies to increase awareness of the American Lung Association’s mission and to promote the Association’s policy, health promotions and development activities.
- Executes media relations in the region for the American Lung Association’s signature reports (“State of Lung Cancer,” “State of Tobacco Control” and “State of the Air”), and initiatives (LUNG FORCE, Healthy Air, Anti-Vaping, etc.).
- Manages proactive and reactive media relations activities for the region, responding to media requests in a timely manner; and utilizing local storytellers and positioning Lung Association spokespersons, employees and volunteers as lung-related subject matter experts to media outlets in the region.
- Serves as a member of National Marketing and Communications Leadership Team (MCLT), providing staff with content and marketing assistance for their promotional efforts.
- Ensures all communications and collateral material adheres to Lung Association (or LUNG FORCE) Brand Guidelines.
- Proactively builds relationships with media in major markets to secure coverage of policy, program and development initiatives.
- Assists events staff in developing media partnerships with local media stations to promote events and acts as onsite media contact for select events.
- Assists health education and advocacy staff with sponsorship-related media and marketing.
- Manages and cultivates media lists for distributions and targeted pitching.
- Monitors regional media coverage daily.
- Assists with managing organizational presence on social media sites and monitors local social media for adherence to best practices.
- Manages regional Marketing and Communications budget for region.
- Provide localized content for national e-communications, when appropriate.
- Manages LUNG FORCE Hero intake information.
- Performs other responsibilities as assigned.
- 5-7 years of marketing and communications experience, with proven media relations success
- Bachelor’s degree in related field: Communications, Marketing, Journalism.
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills
- Robust computer and e-communications skills; strong knowledge of a variety of computer programs.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including attention to detail.
- Self-motivated with ability to take initiative on projects; strong analytical and strategic reasoning skills and the ability to work with other members of the team.
- Experience with social media.
- Provide personal transportation to attend meetings and functions with a valid driver license and proof of personal auto insurance.
- Ability to travel on occasion to work events in key markets.
- Proficiency with Cision and/or other media database and monitoring systems.
- Should possess a passion for great work in a team environment
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Manage timelines of multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Accuracy and attention to detail and deadlines – strong project management skills.
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form. Also, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless approved for medical or religious exemption.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to (include the job title and the job number in the subject of the email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V