Director, Advocacy, IN (IN #2021-76)
The American Lung Association has an excellent opportunity for a Director, Advocacy, IN to join our incredible team in the Upper Midwest Region. Working as an Advocacy and Public Policy Team member, you will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease through research, education and advocacy.
In this role, you will be responsible for planning, development, and implementation of the local and state public policy initiatives and tobacco control initiatives for the American Lung Association in Indiana; manage Indiana Department of Public Health Tobacco Grant; as well as assist our Washington, D.C. staff with our Federal priorities. This position is partially grant-funded.
- Work collaboratively with staff and volunteers within the American Lung Association in Indiana as well as with external partners to implement the organization’s policy agenda.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key government officials on ongoing basis; enhance understanding of Lung Association mission and activities.
- Lobby local, state and federal elected officials to pass Lung Association endorsed lung health-related policies or to stop measures opposed by the Lung Association.
- Engage constituents and volunteers into advocacy activities, such as meeting with elected officials, offering testimony, writing letters, and writing op-eds.
- Build advocacy networks (such as LUNG FORCE Hero advocates, lung health and health professional champions, e-advocates) through recruitment and ongoing engagement as part of a larger Association effort to build a robust constituent base.
- Identify policy success stories, personal stories and potential spokespeople for to highlight internally and externally.
- Serve as policy spokesperson including for the annual State of Tobacco Control, State of Lung Cancer and State of the Air signature reports to maximize policy impact. Represent Lung Association on relevant local and regional coalitions (tobacco control, asthma and air quality).
- Serve as Program Manager for Tobacco Control Program grant work and liaison with Indiana State Department of Public Health Staff (IDPH).
- Ensure all deliverables for IDPH grant are completed and timely.
- Manage 2 specialist Advocacy positions.
- Manage and file all necessary reporting to IDPH on a timely basis.
- Comply with all lobbying registration and reporting requirements.
- Incorporate Lung Association public policy advocacy into community events.
- B.S. or B.A. degree in public health, health policy, political science or government related area with over 5 years’ experience in the public or private sectors, preferably at the state level with a focus on grassroots advocacy, public policy development and direct lobbying.
- Understanding of state, local and federal government and legislative processes.
- Experience in public health, tobacco control, environmental advocacy, or health policy is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, problem solve, thrive under pressure, perform multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Organized with attention to detail, accuracy and quality.
- Team Player with a positive attitude; comfortable working with all levels of staff.
- Flexibility to work occasional irregular hours, including evenings and weekends with some overnights possible.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (event supplies)
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all employees must abstain from tobacco use in any form. Also, all employees are required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless approved for medical or religious exemption.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to (include the job title and the job number in the subject of the email):
Human Resources Department
American Lung Association
Email: [email protected]
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V